Gone Back To Version 8

darrensen

You just need to "Locate" the catalog in the Media Sets tab. That's all!

Thanks Steve,

I guess when it's running and asks for "Needs Media" i select the drive where the data is backed up or does it go to the destination i want the data to be restored to?

r8.png

Edited by Darrensen

I kept the catalog for one of our backups in v8, but how do i get that into v8 to recover?

Steve is right; Media Sets -> Locate is how you bring an existing Catalog file into Retrospect.

I guess when it's running and asks for "Needs Media"

"Media" is not the Catalog, so it sounds as if you're asking a different question now. Media (or a Member of a Media Set) is where the backed up data is stored.

In your screen shot, the "Drobo Backup" volume contains a Member of your Disk Media Set, located on the disk in the default location of (guessing here as your columns are too narrow to see the full names)

Drobo Backup/Retrospect/Drobo Backup/1-Drobo Backup

When Retrospect asks for Media when doing a Restore you only need to navigate to the Retrospect folder on the Member volume; it will locate the correct sub-folder on its own.

Dave

Steve is right; Media Sets -> Locate is how you bring an existing Catalog file into Retrospect.

"Media" is not the Catalog, so it sounds as if you're asking a different question now. Media (or a Member of a Media Set) is where the backed up data is stored.

In your screen shot, the "Drobo Backup" volume contains a Member of your Disk Media Set, located on the disk in the default location of (guessing here as your columns are too narrow to see the full names)

Drobo Backup/Retrospect/Drobo Backup/1-Drobo Backup

When Retrospect asks for Media when doing a Restore you only need to navigate to the Retrospect folder on the Member volume; it will locate the correct sub-folder on its own.

Dave

ThanksDave for your reply.

So when it says "needs media" i navigate to "Retrospect" which is stored on our Drobo Backup volume?

Normally after going through the restore wizard it starts to restore, doesn't normally as "needs media". Done a google and found a few people asking about this when restoring.

Should i repair the catalog?

Edited by Darrensen

Should i repair the catalog?

It remains unclear exactly what you have done, what you are doing, and what you want to do.

What version of Retrospect did you originally create the Media Set with?

Did you then use a newer version of Retrospect to append data to this Media Set?

Have you now gone back to the original version of Retrospect that was used to create this Media Set?

Can you confirm the file structure of the Retrospect folder on the Drobo? Are the correct sub-folders present?

What happens when you navigate to the Retrospect folder on the Drobo when prompted for Needs Media?

It remains unclear exactly what you have done, what you are doing, and what you want to do.

What version of Retrospect did you originally create the Media Set with?

Did you then use a newer version of Retrospect to append data to this Media Set?

Have you now gone back to the original version of Retrospect that was used to create this Media Set?

Can you confirm the file structure of the Retrospect folder on the Drobo? Are the correct sub-folders present?

What happens when you navigate to the Retrospect folder on the Drobo when prompted for Needs Media?

Sorry i'll explain

This backup set is untouched since we moved from v8 to v9. It was created in v8.I kept it just incase we needed to go back.

This set was never migrated to v9

Yes i'm now using v8 which was originally used to create this set.

If i navigate to the retrospect folder on the Drobo it does the below...

media.png

If i select another location it creates another directory in "members", "media sets".

Edited by Darrensen

If i select another location it creates another directory in "members", "media sets".

Yeah, that's a bug I reported in V8, which I haven't tested in V9 to see if they fixed it.

I ran into this issue last night w/V8, and solved it by Stopping the current Script, then going to Media Sets->MyFooSet->1-MyFooSeet and selecting the pencil icon to edit. Then I pointed back at the same folder and said OK without changing any values. Backup worked after that.