Extremely Slow On Restoring

Guest EWTHeckman

Guest EWTHeckman

I'm currently running Retrospect 8.2. One of the drives I'm backing up is a 3 TB RAID with 1.5 TB of data on it. I'm running a recent Mac Pro (a six core machine) with plenty of RAM. However, it's taking more than half an hour for Retrospect to even display the list of files to be restored from this backup. Unchecking all the files (so I can select the handful to be restored) takes a similar (though shorter) amount of time. Then Retrospect is taking equally long to "process" before even starting the restore. (In fact, it crashed once at this point and I'm having to do it again.)

Is there any way to speed this up? (Everything is local in this case.) This downtime is killing me!

Is Retrospect 9 any faster at this?

Guest Steve Maser

How many actual backups are in the media set? I find the length of time it takes to display the list of files to choose to restore is pretty much in proportion to how many backups there are in the set.

And what kind of files are you trying to restore? OS files or just "user data" files?

Guest EWTHeckman

There are 33 backups. (8 sources: 5 are local hard drives, 3 are Windows clients and two of those are usually off.) Total data backed up is 1,416.9 GB in 3,045,361 files.

The files I'm trying to restore are data files.

Edited to add: Those 33 backups are 8 backup runs, once a week for 8 weeks. The first was a full backup, the rest are incremental.

Edited by EWTHeckman

Guest EWTHeckman

BTW, here's the actual elapsed time on a successful restore from the log:

Started: 3:01 PM. Finished: 5:42 PM. Total time: 2 hours and 41 minutes. 38 minutes of that was actual restore time, including Retrospect waiting on me to notice that it needed a tape, then me putting the wrong tape in. The other 2 hours was me waiting on Retrospect.

One of the drives I'm backing up is a 3 TB RAID with 1.5 TB of data on it.

If your issue is with Restore, it doesn't really matter where the data on the Media Set originated. What matters is what Type of Media Set it is, and what hardware/software is in use to store the bits.

How about a thorough description of your configuration?

Guest EWTHeckman

If your issue is with Restore, it doesn't really matter where the data on the Media Set originated. What matters is what Type of Media Set it is, and what hardware/software is in use to store the bits.

How about a thorough description of your configuration?

The point was to let you know the volume of data which was backed up and that the drive handling the actual data is not the bottleneck.

The computer is a 3.33 GHz 6-Core Mac Pro running Mac OS 10.6.8. It has 24 GB of RAM. The main volume where the catalogs are stored is an Apple software RAID 0 set of two internal 500 GB drives. (Set up in Disk Utility.) The backups are done on a Sony AIT-5 LIN-D81 library connected via an ATTO UL5D SCSI card. The backup set I used is spread over 3 AIT-5 tapes. (Only two were accessed when the restore finally happened.)

The external RAID is connected and managed via a RocketRAID 2552.

The Retrospect version is 8.2.0 (399) licensed for 1 server with 20 clients.

Note that Retrospect didn't even touch the tape drive during that 2 hours of preparation time. This was all internal to my current generation, just shy of violent nosebleed speed (and price), Mac Pro. That's why I think the time involved is unacceptable, even when managing the catalog of that much data.

Is there anything else you need to know?

Guest Steve Maser

If you reboot the engine machine before attempting the restore -- do you get any faster response?

Do you have any other scripts running (proactive or scheduled) while you were doing the restore?

(Unfortunately, I don't use tape, so I can't attempt a direct comparison test...)

Guest EWTHeckman

If you reboot the engine machine before attempting the restore -- do you get any faster response?

Do you have any other scripts running (proactive or scheduled) while you were doing the restore?

No to the other scripts. I'll have to get back to you on what happens after a reboot.