Upgrading From 8.2

Guest jclark14

Guest jclark14

Well, since there is no "how to upgrade/install document" to 9, and thinking just how easy it will be to do it, I uninstalled my 8.2 installation, fired up my newly downloaded 9.0 Desktop edition dmg, opened it up, copied it to my HD folder, opened it up, and..... where's the Retro 9 Engine installer? MY old v8 tetro folder had an engine installer/uninstaller.... which i uninstalled in prep for 9...

What to do now? I emailed the newly formed Retro folks on their (new) website, but thinking that it might be some time before responding... I am posting here.

Anyone here get a version 9 engine installer with their shiney new 9 version? Does v9 use the v8 engine? I'm stopped/stumped.

jeff clark

Guest Steve Maser

The engine installer is built into the Console.app.

When you run the Console app, you'll be prompted to add a new server and can either add a remote server, or install the engine to the machine you are running the console from.

One of the biggest complaints about Retrospect 8 was the need to have two separate installers -- now it's just the console app.

Guest jclark14

The engine installer is built into the Console.app.

When you run the Console app, you'll be prompted to add a new server and can either add a remote server, or install the engine to the machine you are running the console from.

One of the biggest complaints about Retrospect 8 was the need to have two separate installers -- now it's just the console app.

Thanks! So what is the optimal approach - uninstall previous version, or install over previous version?

Also, it seems to me that separate installers makes sense - by seperating the apps, changes could be made to either w/o worrying about screwing the other one up...

:)

jeff

Guest jclark14

Well, after starting retro 9 all I get is a console... with no ( apparent ) obvious way to install the Retro Engine ( it does appear to want to hook up with one though )... pushed all the buttons, looked at all the Preferences....

<sigh>

jeff

Guest jclark14

Thank you all for your help - is all working just fine now.

*Ahem* A bit of mea culpa here - when I first said that I had uninstalled it, well, it was all in my head. I *was* gonna do that, but instead, I just turned it off in the Control Panel & restarted. So wen I launched Retro 9, and saw bupkis, I posted here that it seemed to not want to install the engine. So re-enabled the v8 engine, restarted ( i know, i know i didn't have to ), and launched Retro 9 - and voila - it axed me to install the Retro engine. Everything started working very soon after.

So far so good, eh? Well, so what would happen *if* there was no engine installed at all? Can Retro 9 upon first launch discern whether there is an engine turned off vs an engine not present at all?

I'd like to know this, in case I buy it for a client with no previous installation.

jeff