Retrospect 9 Startup/install Issues

Enclosed is the Operations log of a failure after the first backup of a OS X Lion Client on this media. A look at the media revealed that it has backed up data on it but the compare failed and the media was later found to be off-line and inaccessible. The OPS log is attached. To restore the Media to be functional I had to do the following:

2. Deselect the "Start Engine automatically on Restart" check box.
  3. Stop the Retro Engine. Had to restart the machine to do so as the Engine Stop button did not show the Engine had stopped (confirmed its stopped status in Console log later on).
  4. Remount the Media (power cycle the drive as it was inaccessible even in Finder). It would not open via Finder after this event.
  5. Check the media with Disk Utility (this was an optional step to verify the media).
  6. Restart the Engine.
  7. Verify the Media in Retro. After the above this and revealed that the backup indeed occurred, confirming the log but without the compare cycle.

It should be also noted that at no time was the absence of the media reflected in the media status in Retro. The only way I knew there was trouble was failure of Verify in the media test. Hope this helps someone else who may be demoing Retro 9. Seems like some of the Retro 8 bugs are still there- this may also combine a number of under-the-hood issues and another apparent bug I commented about.

While seeming to work for basic back ups, Retro 9 seems to bring with its 'upgrade' and bug fixes some hold over baggage it is much more an upgrade than a major release, and hardly a new product.

It should be also noted that at no time was the absence of the media reflected in the media status in Retro. The only way I knew there was trouble was failure of Verify in the media test.

Are you saying that even though the LaCie drive would not mount in the Finder of the Engine host machine, the Retrospect console application did not show that Source with the little "offline" icon?

Retro 9 seems to bring with its 'upgrade' and bug fixes some hold over baggage

Are you saying that a LaCie drive that fails to mount is an indication of held over baggage of Retrospect?

Are you saying that even though the LaCie drive would not mount in the Finder of the Engine host machine, the Retrospect console application did not show that Source with the little "offline" icon?

I am saying that the drive appeared on the Finder, and that it would open up to show the files in it and that Retro indicated by the the little inverse ? icon that it could not access/not available/add media.

Are you saying that a LaCie drive that fails to mount is an indication of held over baggage of Retrospect?

I am saying that the failure to run an already mounted backup set, with no other indication only when it actually did run the backup, and while there was a drive issue MAY HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY RETRO. That's a holdover of previous problems I've experienced.

I'm saying that diagnostics in Retro: Verify, simply not completing with no error is a holdover of previous previous problems I've experienced.

I'm saying that the drive was formatted in Disk Utility, and was accessible by the Finder, was set up as a new drive in Retro, and after that until it's failure the only subsequent access was through Retro. That's a holdover of previous problems I've experienced.

BTW, I am also saying that afterwards, looking at the data on that drive, once repaired, indicated that the backup had proceeded (folders were there, organized in seemingly the proper order, completed (most likely), the failure was during the compare cycle, and that said failure was all on Retro. Said failure was on the first access. After repair other backups seem to be fine. Of course no one can be sure of what actually happened, but this has happened to me with other drives and Retro 8 in the past. Can't believe you haven't seen similar. You sound incredulous.

Sheesh!

Can't believe you haven't seen similar

I'm not sure really what you're reporting, so I can't comment on what I've seen that might be the same.

You do make this statement:

Remount the Media (power cycle the drive as it was inaccessible even in Finder). It would not open via Finder after this event.

Which is unclear.

Your most recent description:

the failure to run an already mounted backup set

Also leaves me without a clear indication of what exactly you are doing, and what exactly you are seeing when you do it.

But the error log indicates that Retrospect was unable to read data off the external LaCie drive. If I were troubleshooting the issue, the first thing I'd be suspicious of is the LaCie drive, and since I've read so many reports of the power supplies included in these external devices I'd begin my investigation there.

I'm not incredulous that you had a device that caused Retrospect to report an error -204 (device busy); that much is noted in the log. But I am skeptical that Retrospect's attempts to read data from the volume caused the volume to misbehave. It's usually the other way around.