Adding A Multicast Client (Source) In Retro 9

In my trial install of Retro 9, still having trouble properly recognizing a multi-cast IP address of a client.

2. Old versions of Retro Client (Retro 8 clients) still show up in Multicast but cannot be added to the Source List. This is particularly annoying because laptops that are on multiple IP's (e.g., WAP, wired connections) can be expected to migrate and will rarely have the same IP especially if the network is run partially or completely on DHCP. Isn't that the purpose of the multicast anyway?
  3. I had to add the client at its wired location directly, instead of automatically adding it. Thankfully that worked.
  4. After the client has been found with an IP, and then disappears from the IP it was on, there is no apparent way to turn it off of the Multicast engine. One thing I haven't tried is to restart the Engine and look for it again.
  5. None of the above are good things for locating laptop clients. Is there an 'official' recommended procedure for 'forgetting' a multicast member or reloading one when it shows up with a new IP? Maybe another way to refresh the list is to turn off the Retro Client on that machine, wait for multicast to catch up, then turn it on again. If you try to use/add a wrongly found client you get a spinning wheel forever and it refuses apparently to add a wrong IP, but doesn't find the right one either. I did not try these two ideas. Has anyone else?

In summary, Retro's multicast is still not perfect, and does not function in the same transparent way as Bonjour. It has improved a bit though- it hasn't totally crashed.

Retro's multicast is still not perfect, and does not function in the same transparent way as Bonjour

Nor can Bonjour transparently work across subnets the way Retrospect can.

Retro 8 clients

The clients that shipped with Retrospect 8 were Retro 6 clients. Confusing, yes, but the versions are at last in sync now.

Old versions of Retro Client ... still show up in Multicast but cannot be added to the Source List

What happens when you try?

I had to add the client at its wired location directly, instead of automatically adding it

"Direct" and "Automatic" are both terms Retrospect uses in connection with Client behavior, but they mean entirely different things. Are you describing using the "Add source directly" button instead of selecting the client from the multicast populated list?

After the client has been found with an IP, and then disappears from the IP it was on, there is no apparent way to turn it off of the Multicast engine

Not sure what this means; you can "Remove" the source from the Sources panel, which should then allow you to Add it again using another (or the same) method.

If you try to use/add a wrongly found client you get a spinning wheel forever

What is a "wrongly found client" ? It sounds like a Bad Thing.

Dave