Console Busy Doing Nothing

A backup scrip is stalled at "Preparing to execute....". Retrospect and this script among others have worked OK since May.

Clicking Pause does nothing. Clicking Stop gives me a confirmation dialog but also does nothing.

The little spinning wheel in the Console continues to spin but no progress occurs.

This script has worked for months.

I tried stopping the Console and Client, also tried removing the entire Retrospect folder form Library/Application Support.

This should result in Retrospect losing all scripts and demanding my license code--but when I relaunch the Console and Client everything is same as before removing the folder.

I've tried putting the folder on the desktop and in the trash (but not empty the trash).

What else should I try ?

8.2.0 (399)

Guest Steve Maser

When you say "stopping the console" -- do you mean stopping the *Engine*? Or just quitting the Console application?

If you don't stop the Engine (via the System Preference), then I think removing the Retrospect Folder won't stop the current Engine settings from continuing running (though that would be a good thing to check to see what happens...)

I meant I was quitting the main application.

The engine still refused to quite via the preference pane, regardless if the Retrospect folder was in place or not.

I could only get the engine to quit by deselecting Launch Retrospect Engine at startup and then restarting.

Retrospect is working again.

What worked is:

Quit Retrospect and Client apps

Remove Retrospect folder from app support

Deselect Launch Restrospect Engine.

Restart

Re-select Launch Retrospect Engine

Replace Retrospect Folder in app support

Restart

Launch Retrospect app and Client App.

Retrospect then immediately finished the script it was stalled on.

Other scripts continue to work too.

I got lucky. No harm done to my scripts, configs or Retro files.

But multiple restarts did have me feeling like OS 9 again....

Guest Steve Maser

Be aware that when you click on the "stop" button in the System Preference -- depending on what the engine is doing at the time -- it can take up to 10 minutes for the engine to actually quit.

What you did *likely* protected the config80.dat file from being corrupted (since you moved it prior to restart), but, in general, doing a restart without stopping the engine first is not the best thing to do if there's an active activity running.

- Steve

I am using Retrospect to backup only the Mac it is installed on.

The client software launches because it is among the startup items in my account prefs. I will remove it.

The activity wheel had spun for a week before I noticed it :rolleyes:

I *was* checking the logs and summary daily....

Time for me to utilize the Email Notification feature.

I don't frequently restart the Mac. I'm guessing my problem started when I allowed Software Update to restart.

The Mac OS will time out on a restart if an app hangs or something.

Will it do same thing if the Retrospect engine is running ?