Retrospect 6.1 Doesn't See Tape Drive

I have some old Retrospect tapes I need access, so I have Retrospect 6.1 running on a MAC G4 with Tiger. The tape drive is connected via an Adaptec 29160N card and is recognized in system profiler as a Seagate DAT tape drive under the Parallel SCSI tab. However, a scan of devised under R6.1 doesn't see the tape drive. Originally the only device that R6.1 did see was the CD/DVD drive, and then I ran the driver updater and now even that is grayed out. The tape drive doesn't show up at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My G4 is a dual boot with OS 9.22, can I run Retrospect 6.1 in OS 9.22 instead?

Retrospect 6.1 does not run on OS 9 as far as I know. But your 6.1 licence key should work for Retrospect 5.1 (included on the same CD, and/or downloadable from the support page), which does run on OS 9.

Which version were the tapes created with?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, sorry for the delay but I have an update and a question. I finally have a card that works in Tiger (ATTO UL3D) and finally managed to get the correct SCSI cable to attach the Quantum DDS4 tape drive to it. I also have the terminator on the tape drive showing green, and the tape drive is seen by Retrospect 6.1 now. If fact, I've gotten as far as starting a catalog rebuild. However, after starting the rebuild the tape activity light on the drive lights up for about 30 seconds and then goes out, and there's no status updates on the catalog rebuild, even after leaving it running overnight.

I'm happy to try the Retrospect 5.1 in OS 9.2 with the 6.1 license key, but when I tried to download Retrospect 5.1 all I got was a set of extensions, with apparently no application to run - is that correct?

Or better yet, is there something else I can do in Tiger to get R6.1 to rebuild the catalog?

Thanks

I finally have a card that works in Tiger (ATTO UL3D) and finally managed to get the correct SCSI cable to attach the Quantum DDS4 tape drive to it. I also have the terminator on the tape drive showing green, and the tape drive is seen by Retrospect 6.1 now. If fact, I've gotten as far as starting a catalog rebuild. However, after starting the rebuild the tape activity light on the drive lights up for about 30 seconds and then goes out, and there's no status updates on the catalog rebuild, even after leaving it running overnight.

Have you confirmed that your exact drive model is supported by Retrospect? Does it have the latest firmware installed, if applicable? If so, I would try creating a new backup set and seeing if you can read and write to this set using a fresh tape. If you can't do this, you may have problems with the drive, cabling, or HBA card.

I'm happy to try the Retrospect 5.1 in OS 9.2 with the 6.1 license key, but when I tried to download Retrospect 5.1 all I got was a set of extensions, with apparently no application to run - is that correct?

The complete installer is available here. When I download it from this page and run the installer, I get the app and everything else I would expect.