How Do I Skip A Client When A Script Runs?

Hi,

Occasionally I just need to back up just one or two clients (out of 12 in the script), if I run the script and the clients I don't need are turned off, the script runs and bogs down trying to find the turned off clients. In version 6 it would skip them straight away, is there any way to skip a client other than creating a new script? I've also found v8 really slow in building snapshots, but only on certain clients (doesn't seem to relate to the amount of data)

I've had version 8 for a few months now and I thought it would be way better than v6, but not so far unfortunately...

Cheers, Jason.

Thanks for the reply.

For the first client that wasn't on, it spent about 5 minutes trying to find it, then it moved onto the next item in the script, which was files on a different drive on the same client and then spent another 5 minutes trying to find the same client that it couldn't find just a second earlier. So it was an extra 10 minutes just for one client. I just wanted to quickly backup one client again as new data had been added since the scheduled script ran. It would have been quicker to turn all clients back on and run the full backup script again, madness.

With the snapshots, it takes longer on some clients that have much less data. i.e. The length of time taken to build a snapshot doesn't seem to correlate with the amount of data on the client.

Cheers, Jason.

For the first client that wasn't on, it spent about 5 minutes trying to find it, then it moved onto the next item in the script, which was files on a different drive on the same client and then spent another 5 minutes trying to find the same client that it couldn't find just a second earlier.

With Retrospect 6.x, user-specified subvolumes were treated the same as actual volumes. One could therefore choose to back up whatever selected volumes and subvolumes you wanted to on each given client, while connecting to the client only once during a script execution. As you've discovered, this valuable option is not available in the Favorite Folders scheme of Retro 8.

With the snapshots, it takes longer on some clients that have much less data. i.e. The length of time taken to build a snapshot doesn't seem to correlate with the amount of data on the client.

Remember that the snapshot includes all the files on whatever source is being backed up, even if no files need to be backed up during that particular script execution.