Backup Scripts Disappear

amowrey

Retrospect froze last week and when I rebooted the machine, I noticed that the schedules for set of scripts that was running had disappeared. I thought this was related to the crash, so I rebuilt the schedules and Retrospect was happy. Today I stopped Retrospect to do a restore from a different set, and when I checked the script, the same schedules were missing, as were the schedules of another script.

We have 4 sets of scripts (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black). They each run every 12 weeks, for 3 weeks each; on their first day of running, they recycle the media set - there is no media action on the other days. This system has worked fine for a year.

I've got two questions:

1. Does anyone know why this is happening and what can be done to prevent it?

2. Does Retrospect make backups of the scripts, or can I do this w/ a shell script in the Finder?

Retrospect, 8.2.0 (399)

Mac OS X Server 10.6.7

2 x 2.4 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Edited by amowrey

Does Retrospect make backups of the scripts,...(?)

It does for me, after I scripted a nightly Duplicate to a small SDHD card. The card also contains a Retrospect installer and a text file of my license, a few screen shots of my configurations, etc, for a disaster recovery bug-out-bag.

David

Retrospect froze last week and when I rebooted the machine, I noticed that the schedules for set of scripts that was running had disappeared. I thought this was related to the crash, so I rebuilt the schedules and Retrospect was happy. Today I stopped Retrospect to do a restore from a different set, and when I checked the script, the same schedules were missing, as were the schedules of another script.

We have experienced similar issues in the past. Retrospect (and its configuration file where all data about sources, scripts, rules, and recent backups is stored) are far more fragile than they should be. We have been able to fix various problems by reverting to a known good version of the configuration file and/or by uninstalling and reinstalling the engine and console.

Since reinstalling is usually the easiest to perform, I'd try that first. (Use the "Uninstall Retrospect 8" AppleScript before you reinstall; it will preserve your config file and catalogs.) If this doesn't help and if you haven't got any good copies of the Config80.dat file (located at /Library/Application Support/Retrospect) that you can go back to, you will probably need to trash the file and reconstruct everything from scratch. Quit the console and stop the engine, and then drag Config80 to the trash, or better, the desktop in case you later change your mind.

Maintaining backup copies of Config80 as Dave suggests is a very good (some of us would say necessary) precaution.