Windows Client Backups Are Insanely Slow

Guest EWTHeckman

Guest EWTHeckman

I'm having problems with insanely slow backups of Windows clients.

I'm running the latest version of Retropect 8 (8.2.0 (399)) on a fairly new 6 core Mac Pro. Backups go to an AIT-5 library.

When doing full backups of local drives, the performance averaged 1,524.5 MB/minute, 1,504.6 MB/minute, and 1,881 MB/minute for each of the three drives during one recent backup.

I have a copy of Windows XP running in Parallels which I'm backup up via Retrospect client. 54.3 MB/minute. That's unreasonable slow given the configuration.

Even worse, I have a dedicated computer running XP which is connected via Gigabit ethernet. It's currently running the first full backup in a while. Currently it's running a 5.1 MB/minute. The backup has been running for 58 and a half hours, and is only 35 GB into a 314 GB backup. That is flat out UNACCEPTABLE.

Both Windows clients are version 7.7.106. I tried 7.7.114, but that seemed to be even worse. Both clients are set to give full priority to Backup.

This level of god-awful backup speeds leaves backups next to useless. At this rate, the current backup won't finish for another 1,052 hours. That's 43 DAYS. In other words, I have to leave one machine totally unprotected, or leave other machines nearly unprotected.

Please guys! I need Retrospect's clients to be fixed! I need help!

P.S. I apologize for the tone of this post. When I ask for help, I'm well aware that I'm asking someone to sympathize with me, and slapping the person I'm asking damages that. But I'm also totally frustrated by this. I've been searching threads, waiting for updates which might fix the speed, and generally choking down my frustration for a long time. It's too hard to swallow it completely any more.

I would check Windows task manager on the client for something suspicious.

Second, many small files takes more time than a few large files. Sometimes a LOT more time. So, how many files are there?

Even with an old 10 Mbit Ethernet you would get almost 10 times your speed.

Maybe something as simple as a reboot of the client can solve the problem?

Try another network outlet. At one time we had a broken network outlet in one office room. The only thing that didn't work was Retrospect. File sharing, surfing and e-mail worked. Go figure.