Desperate Feature Request

As I eagerly await the next release of Retrospect (which, sadly, will probably happen about the same time the pigs across the way gain wings and start flying), I desperately, desperately, hope one feature will be added.

I NEED to be able to FORCE a client backup from the Retrospect Server computer!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I eagerly await the next release of Retrospect (which, sadly, will probably happen about the same time the pigs across the way gain wings and start flying), I desperately, desperately, hope one feature will be added.

I NEED to be able to FORCE a client backup from the Retrospect Server computer!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all: This is a user-to-user discussion and we are all fellow users here.

Second, why are you not able to "FORCE" a client backup? What are you doing and what happens?

I have created a script with one client and the media sets in question, no schedule. Then I select that script and click on the "Run" botton. I select the correct Media Set and the backup starts.

First of all: This is a user-to-user discussion and we are all fellow users here.

Second, why are you not able to "FORCE" a client backup? What are you doing and what happens?

I have created a script with one client and the media sets in question, no schedule. Then I select that script and click on the "Run" botton. I select the correct Media Set and the backup starts.

I realize this is more of a user-to-user forum, but even so, thought it was a decent place to start.

I will try that, Lennart. I wasn't sure if that would muck up anything with the Proactive scripts or not. Still, that seems like a pretty convoluted way to do it. It would be AWESOME if, within a Proactive script setup, you could simply right-click on a client, get a popup menu with an option being "Backup Now" or similar.

Guest Steve Maser

With Proactive scripts -- a lot depends on how many concurrent proactive scripts you have active.

What I've found with 8.2.399 is that the following works:

1) If this is a *new* proactive script -- after you've created the script (and you see the client listed in the activities waiting for it's first backup) -- stop and restart the engine. That will usually kickstart the proactive scripts again.

2) If this is a client that's already been backed up proactively once, change the "schedule" for the activity so it wants to back up right now. Again, depending on how many concurrent proactive scripts you have running, it may take some time to cycle through to find the client at that new schedule. This isn't a "backup now" option, but it's basically the same thing as setting a client to backup "ASAP" with Retrospect 6. The more proactive scripts you have, though, the longer it takes to cycle through things to find the changed activity.

3) If previous backup activities are not needed, delete the *previous* backup activity from the list of activities. That usually works the fastest (as the client activity then is automatically set internally as asap because it has no previous backup to compare against), but you lose the information for that deleted activity.

Edited by Steve Maser