Trouble Getting Esata Raid Backed Up On Client Machine

Hi There,

I have an External sAATA RAID on a client machine that Retrospect thinks is backed up (green tick and "Backed up" text) but I can't retrieve any data from it.

If I click the "Browse" button from the Sources pane, it connects but doesn't show any directories.

In the logs I see this for the volume:

- 22/08/11 2:31:57 AM: Copying Scratch RAID on username's Mac Pro

Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

22/08/11 2:32:04 AM: Execution incomplete

Total performance: 57.7 MB/minute with 10% compression

Total duration: 01:32:00 (01:23:52 idle/loading/preparing)

!Error: Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found).

!Error: Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found).

If I run the backup during the day when the client machine is not asleep - same issue, it won't back up anything. I've already tried removing and adding the disk from the sources pane )had to add the source directly).

Just not sure how to trouble shoot the issue - any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by cmscss

I have an External sAATA RAID on a client machine

- In Sources, do you see a disclosure triangle to the left of the client computer name?

- Does toggling that triangle reveal the volumes mounted on that computer?

I've already tried removing and adding the disk from the sources pane )had to add the source directly).

Now you're confusing me. Is this RAID connected to a computer running the Retrospect OS X Client software?

Is "the source" you note above a computer running the Retrospect OS X Client software?

You can't remove a volume on a client; could you please describe more specifically the steps you are taking?

Dave

Thanks for the reply Dave - answers below:

- In Sources, do you see a disclosure triangle to the left of the client computer name?

- Does toggling that triangle reveal the volumes mounted on that computer?

Yes, that's all correct

Now you're confusing me. Is this RAID connected to a computer running the Retrospect OS X Client software?

Is "the source" you note above a computer running the Retrospect OS X Client software?

You can't remove a volume on a client; could you please describe more specifically the steps you are taking?

Yes, the RAID is connected to a computer running the Retrospect client software - that's how I can see the computer and it's connected drives via Retrospect under 'Sources'.

What I tried to do was remove the RAID by clicking the - button (from the sources pane after toggling the triangle to see the volumes) then make it appear again by clicking the + button. I think this is actually adding the full client again because I have to add the source directly via IP address - then the RAID volume appears under that client again.

Hope that makes sense?

Edited by cmscss

What I tried to do was remove the RAID by clicking the - button (from the sources pane after toggling the triangle to see the volumes) then make it appear again by clicking the + button. I think this is actually adding the full client again because I have to add the source directly via IP address - then the RAID volume appears under that client again.

As I noted, volumes displayed under the disclosure triangle of a connected Client computer cannot be changed. You can control what is or is not backed up, but not what is or is not listed.

So that's expected behavior.

If I click the "Browse" button from the Sources pane, it connects but doesn't show any directories.

Please provide more specific steps here. The Sources window provides a wealth of information; so before clicking on "Browse" what do you see in the "Used" and "Total" columns?

When you select a volume and click Browse, you should get a drop-down sheet showing the same volume you had selected, with its own disclosure triangle.

Are you saying when you toggle this disclosure triangle, the contents of the volume are not shown?

What is the RAID hardware? What level of RAID is it configured for?

How many volumes is it configured to provide?

Is there a user logged into the Client computer when you attempt to browse the volume?

OK, so after performing a recycle backup, the eSATA RAID isn't being backup any more.

The error I see in the logs is:

-  29/08/11 9:06:32 AM: Copying Scratch RAID on username's Mac Pro
Scanning incomplete, error -1101 ( file/directory not found)

To recap, this RAID disk is:

- Connected via eSATA to a 10.6.8 machine running Retrospect client

- The RAID shows up under the client machine in the Retrospect source list

- The RAID shows a clock icon in the source list instead of a green tick (with a status of "ready")

- The RAID works perfectly on the client machine and is always available

- There have been no issues of any kind (that I know about) with the RAID on the client machine

- The Macintosh HD for this client is always backed up successfully

- The client machine has "Put the hard disks to sleep" unticked

- The client machine has "Wake for ethernet network access" ticked

- The client machine has "Computer sleep" set to "Never" (display sleep is on though)

- The issue seems to crop up regardless of when the client machine's screen is sleeping or not.

- I have removed the client from the source list and re-added it

- When I add it, I have to manually add the address because as Retrospect never seems to see it

I'm really not sure what the issue is sorry - does anyone have any way to help figure out what might be wrong?

Will keep removing and adding the client in the mean time as that worked last time.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by cmscss

Well, I asked a few questions up-thread, hoping they might help direct the search. But oh well.

I did re-read your questions and thought I'd covered them in the re-cap - but I see I missed detailed info on the RIAD - sorry for this:

- SeriTek/2SE2-E v. 5.4.1 PCI Card: http://www.firmtek.com/seritek/seritek-2se2-e/

- Stardom SOHO RAID SR4: http://www.stardom.com.tw/sohoraid_sr4_spec.html

- Set to RAID level 5

- One volume called Scratch RAID

- Sources window info shows: Used 1,016GB / Total 2,794GB for this volume

When you select a volume and click Browse, you should get a drop-down sheet showing the same volume you had selected, with its own disclosure triangle.

The drop-down sheet appears but is blank (see attached screenshot) so I guess Retrospect doesn't have access to the contents of the volume for some reason?

Is there a user logged into the Client computer when you attempt to browse the volume?

This machine happens to be my workstation and I never log out of it. I've also tried running a backup while working on the machine incase the drive was sleeping for some reason - but no luck.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by cmscss

I asked:

The Sources window provides a wealth of information; so before clicking on "Browse" what do you see in the "Used" and "Total" columns?

This machine happens to be my workstation

- So it's confirmed the Engine is running on a different computer, yes?

- Where are you running the Console application?

From Sources, select the Client machine and click on the Options tab. In the Volumes section, note the setting of the "Back up:" pop-up menu. What is it?

If you change the pop-up to "Selected Volumes" do you see the volumes on the Client machine?

The Sources window provides a wealth of information; so before clicking on "Browse" what do you see in the "Used" and "Total" columns?

This hasn't changed from before and still says: Used 1,016GB / Total 2,794GB

- So it's confirmed the Engine is running on a different computer, yes?

- Where are you running the Console application?

The engine is running on our file server and I'm using Apple Remote Desktop to login and open Retrospect on the server - is that what the console is?

From Sources, select the Client machine and click on the Options tab. In the Volumes section, note the setting of the "Back up:" pop-up menu. What is it?

If you change the pop-up to "Selected Volumes" do you see the volumes on the Client machine?

It's currently set to "All Volumes" and Scratch RAID is listed (and ticked) along with "Macintosh HD". If I change the pop-up to "Selected Volumes" both volumes still appear ticked but are no longer grayed out.

Thanks heaps for the reply, I just can't work out what is going on.

Cheers

Ben

Edited by cmscss