Updating Client Name

I recently installed a new SSD drive as my boot drive on a Retrospect Client Mac. For some reason, the client name is still named for the old hard drive (which has been removed from the Mac) and not the new SSD hard drive. I tried deleting the Client software and reinstalling it but the old name still persists. When I check Disk Utility, I see only the name of the SSD drive, not the old hard drive. Maybe it's not Retrospect that is the problem but somewhere the old name persists and I think it needs to be the new name.

System: Mac Pro 4.1

Retrospect 8.2.0 (299)

Reptrospect Client 6.3.029

Guest Steve Maser

Can you submit a screen shot to clarify this?

Client names are displayed within the Retrospect Client and have nothing to do with the Hard disk name.

If you uninstalled the client software and reinstalled it clean, then when you readd the client, it picks the name of the client from the *Computer* name in the Sharing system preference -- not the hard disk name.

Edited by Steve Maser

Can you submit a screen shot to clarify this?

Client names are displayed within the Retrospect Client and have nothing to do with the Hard disk name.

If you uninstalled the client software and reinstalled it clean, then when you readd the client, it picks the name of the client from the *Computer* name in the Sharing system preference -- not the hard disk name.

For some reason, the client name is still named for the old hard drive (which has been removed from the Mac) and not the new SSD hard drive.

As Steve made clear, the client name is unrelated to the name of the boot volume, or any volume, on that client machine.

Sure, they can be the same, if that's how you set it up. But they have no relationship; changing either does not change the other.

So apparently at install time you decided to give the client the name "Thing" (either by allowing the Retrospect Client installer to pickup the computer name from Sharing, or by setting it manually), which coincidentally was the name of the boot volume.

Assuming you can connect to the Client from the Console, you can change its name from the Sources window to whatever you wish.

Dave