Does Os X Server Need To Be Logged In To Backup?

The topic pretty much says it all- my OS X server (10.6.7) defined volumes (Groups and Users folders) can't be found unless someone (may even have to be the admin account?) is logged in.

I've checked, and the retroclient is running even when no-one is logged in, so I don't know why Retrospect seems to need someone logged in before it can find the volumes/folders to backup?

Guest Steve Maser

This is a long-standing bug that has existed since 10.6.0 was released (and it's been extremely disappointing to see this bug exist for so long...)

But, basically the problem is that if you log in and log out *twice* after reboot, you won't be able to see your client volumes if the machine is at the login screen.

The only way to work around the bug is either to: (1) reboot the server when it's in that state-- but it will recur if you login/logout twice -- or (2) leave the server logged in with a screen saver password on it for security.

I'm holding out hopes -- but not my breath -- that the purported client rewrite due in July will fix this year-plus long bug.

Thanks, Steve.

And wow. Twice? I'm always amazed at things like this- I could understand if logging in and back out hosed it (sorta understand, anyway) but twice? That just boggles my mind... I can't even think of a scenario where that would be possible.

Wonder if killing the process and restarting it via ARD would work?

al

This is a long-standing bug that has existed since 10.6.0 was released (and it's been extremely disappointing to see this bug exist for so long...)

But, basically the problem is that if you log in and log out *twice* after reboot, you won't be able to see your client volumes if the machine is at the login screen.

The only way to work around the bug is either to: (1) reboot the server when it's in that state-- but it will recur if you login/logout twice -- or (2) leave the server logged in with a screen saver password on it for security.

I'm holding out hopes -- but not my breath -- that the purported client rewrite due in July will fix this year-plus long bug.

Wonder if killing the process and restarting it via ARD would work?

I wonder too, but you don't need ARD to load/unload a launchd process:

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist

sudo launchctl load /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist

When you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail. ;-)

ssh would work per your suggestion just as well.

al

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.roxio.launchd.retroengine.plist

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried this/does it work, or is it just a theory? Can a system-level LaunchDaemon or crontab (run daily) be used to automate this for users?

Guest Steve Maser

Now that you've mentioned it -- I've never tried that.

But (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), don't those commands just stop the *engine* process and not the *client* process?

BTW, in case you hadn't noticed, you can buy Apple Remote Desktop from the App store (10.6.6 or higher required) for U$79.99. That's a *good* price.

al