Hello!

I am running into the following error when backing up on Retro 6.1.230 - error 205.

I am backing up to tape on a Magnum 1x7 LTO3 (SCSI-A:0:0 Exabyte LTO 1x7 2U) on a XServe 1.1, running 10.5.8, Dual Core Intel Xeon.

All connections appear secure - ran selftest on autoloader which came back okay - Retrospect sees the autoloader (scan) - ran repair catalog with no issues.

I did a bit of research and came back with an Apple Support page - http://support.apple.com/kb/TA29986?viewlocale=en_US - which indicates a possible SCSI-related issue...

Any insights would be most appreciated! I did notice that someone had a 205 error in Retro 8 - http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/74020-error-205-lost-access-to-storage-medium/

Thank you for your time and assistance!

Edited by m.anthony

i would also run tests using the appropriate diagnostic software for your tape drive. This would also have the advantage of needing to run through the other components of the SCSI chain (HBA card and cable), which will be an indirect test on them.

When you report back, please give us more information about your hardware setup.

i would also run tests using the appropriate diagnostic software for your tape drive. This would also have the advantage of needing to run through the other components of the SCSI chain (HBA card and cable), which will be an indirect test on them.

When you report back, please give us more information about your hardware setup.

Steps: cleaning the tape drive, shutting the tape drive off and on, then repairing the catalogs, the backups are now functioning again!

Thank you!

Steps: cleaning the tape drive, shutting the tape drive off and on, then repairing the catalogs, the backups are now functioning again!

Thank you!

Additional - received 102 error and kernel panic when maneuvering in Retro. As previously noted, both 205 and 102 errors indication SCSI issue. Ordering new SCSI card for station. Hopefully that will resolve the issue! :)

Ordering new SCSI card for station.

You didn't say what SCSI card you were using and what you intend to order.

I think most Retrospect users would say that one of the ATTO cards is the only safe option. People have often run into problems in the past with Apple-branded cards manufactured by LSI.

You didn't say what SCSI card you were using and what you intend to order.

I think most Retrospect users would say that one of the ATTO cards is the only safe option. People have often run into problems in the past with Apple-branded cards manufactured by LSI.

That part of the troubleshooting isn't my area of expertise but I will find out once everything is sorted.

One thing I've noticed is that in one script, instead of erring out, Retro attempts to create another member of the backup set (media set). When that fails, it creates another - it's already done this twice and 'eaten' two tapes. Strange.

I do have another question - I've two systems running Retrospect (same setup hardware + software-wise). The other Tandberg is running fine. Can I copy that script (catalog) over to the other machine and run that script? Then, copy that script (catalog) back over to the original machine? (moving the tapes between the two autoloaders) Am I using the correct terminology?

Thank you again for all your help and insights...I could not do my job without the wonderful people in this forum. I learn so much.

Cheers!

One thing I've noticed is that in one script, instead of erring out, Retro attempts to create another member of the backup set (media set). When that fails, it creates another - it's already done this twice and 'eaten' two tapes.

If, in the process of writing to a tape member, Retrospect loses communication with the drive or the drive reports a write error, it's very possible that the last data block being written to the tape will not be complete. If this occurs, no further data can be written to that tape member, and Retrospect will need to begin using the next member.

All of the problems you're reporting are consistent with a failing tape drive, though they could also be caused by your SCSI chain.

I would recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your drive. They should be able to provide you with diagnostic software to test the drive's operation.

If the two setups you have are indeed identical, you could also try swapping the tape drives between the two and see if the problem moves as well.

Edited by twickland

If, in the process of writing to a tape member, Retrospect loses communication with the drive or the drive reports a write error, it's very possible that the last data block being written to the tape will not be complete. If this occurs, no further data can be written to that tape member, and Retrospect will need to begin using the next member.

All of the problems you're reporting are consistent with a failing tape drive, though they could also be caused by your SCSI chain.

I would recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your drive. They should be able to provide you with diagnostic software to test the drive's operation.

If the two setups you have are indeed identical, you could also try swapping the tape drives between the two and see if the problem moves as well.

We did change out the SCSI card and it was still throwing errors. A few reboots later (as well as turning the autoloader off/on) and the backups are backing up again.