Retrospect Not Cleaning Backup Sets When Asked?

Hello,

I have been fighting with Retrospect from day 1...

I can't seem to figure out how to get it to do what we want it to do for us.

We were using Acronis for our client backups, before they went nuts and started charging out the $$$.

I was told to make retrospect basically do the same thing acronis does, which is give us an image of the C:\ that can be restored to a working machine again. Delete the image and create a new one each week.

- I have setup Retrospect to connect to the clients and created Disk backup sets for each. this is the image of the c:\ we want.

The problem we are having is retrospect is not deleting the backup set files from the NAS when it is time for the next backup. So we will have a few rdb files from different dates.

How do I get retrospect to delete ALL files and create a completely new backup for each client at a scheduled time of the week?

First of all: I hope you do have multiple backups. Because otherwise: in the instant you delete the old backup to perform the new one, you don't have any backup at all.

OK, you should schedule a "Recycle" backup. That deletes the old backup files and starts over.

• 2 weeks later...

We want to delete the old backup and create a fresh new one each time. I understand for that time we would not have a backup at all.

When i created the Backups I selected Recycle backup "the entire contents of the backup set will be removed before the backup start".

All of the backups have this selected. So what I would expect is every week X amount of .rdb files all from the same backup. What a get is a handful of backup files from multiple dates.

Any ideas?

Sorry for the slow response.

we backup 15 stations anywhere from 7 to 20 or more gigs.

one of our workstations has 32 gigs of rdb files in the backup set folder.

13 gigs of that is from the last backup on 16 may.

I dont have anywhere to post the picture of the folder in question.

there are 62 .rdb files in the folder dating back to 25 April.

most of the files are the max disc size 614,408k some are smaller.

we backup 15 stations anywhere from 7 to 20 or more gigs.

one of our workstations has 32 gigs of rdb files in the backup set folder.

13 gigs of that is from the last backup on 16 may.

I dont have anywhere to post the picture of the folder in question.

there are 62 .rdb files in the folder dating back to 25 April.

most of the files are the max disc size 614,408k some are smaller.

32 GB of rdb files is hardly "a handful".

You can post pictures right here. PNG files preferred.

While replying, you can scroll down just a little bit below the text box and look under "Attachments".

Are you really sure you have recycled the backup set? Look in the log.

Are you sure you look in the correct folder? In the backup set properties you can check the path where the rdb files are.

What happens if you recycle manually?

Open the Backup Set properties, select Options and then Media Action: Recycle. Click OK. (You do know you will lose the backups when recycling, right?)

Are there any rdb files left in the folder? Then I would delete them in the Explorer as they are stray files.