Do you see information in other windows of the console application? Is the information complete; i.e., are all the sources, scripts, media set members, past backups, etc. as you expect?

The Retrospect console will frequently fail to populate fully with all the information it should have. Typically, quitting and relaunching the console app will resolve this (you may need to do this more than once).

If the console windows haven't fully populated after several minutes, try quitting the console and stopping the engine in System Preferences. Restarting the engine and relaunching the console may then fix things.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the other windows seem to have complete information. I've quit the console many times, and stopped/started the engine (with the console closed). I've never seen anything in Reports.

Do you see information in other windows of the console application? Is the information complete; i.e., are all the sources, scripts, media set members, past backups, etc. as you expect?

The Retrospect console will frequently fail to populate fully with all the information it should have. Typically, quitting and relaunching the console app will resolve this (you may need to do this more than once).

If the console windows haven't fully populated after several minutes, try quitting the console and stopping the engine in System Preferences. Restarting the engine and relaunching the console may then fix things.

Do you see any reports at the top level of the console's sidebar; i.e., when you highlight the engine's hostname?

Were the reports missing right from the beginning, after your initial installation of the software? What happens if you try a clean configuration (quit the console, stop the engine, drag Config80.dat and Config80.bak from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect to the Desktop or somewhere else safe, and then restart the engine and console)?

Reports were missing from the beginning, as far as I can remember (a month ago), and never showed up at any level.

I quit the console, stopped the engine, removed the .dat and .bak files, started the engine, started the console, and they appeared. Scripts weren't too complicated, so I'm recreating them.

Do you see any reports at the top level of the console's sidebar; i.e., when you highlight the engine's hostname?

Were the reports missing right from the beginning, after your initial installation of the software? What happens if you try a clean configuration (quit the console, stop the engine, drag Config80.dat and Config80.bak from /Library/Application Support/Retrospect to the Desktop or somewhere else safe, and then restart the engine and console)?

Some additional information could probably be helpful, such as the Type of Media Set(s) you are using, the hardware used to store the data (Members), etc.

Not sure the hardware has much to do with it... It's a fairly high end Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, Apple hardware RAID card, catalogs stored on a RAID partition, ATTO fibre channel card, backing up to tape sets on a Tandberg (Exabyte robot, HP LTO5 drive) StorageLibrary T24.

Brian

And another observation: sometimes reports show up, sometimes they don't... If they don't show up, they usually do after closing the console and opening it again.

I've found that if I start the client shortly after I start the server, reports may not show up. If I exit, and then restart the client, the reports are there. If I start the client immediately after I start the server, the client will often claim that there's no server there.

Waiting 30-60 seconds after starting the server will ensure that the client can connect to the server properly. I'm not sure what the server is doing all this time; searching for media devices, perhaps? Reading the hulking great Config.dat?

I've found that if I start the client shortly after I start the server, reports may not show up. If I exit, and then restart the client, the reports are there. If I start the client immediately after I start the server, the client will often claim that there's no server there.

Waiting 30-60 seconds after starting the server will ensure that the client can connect to the server properly. I'm not sure what the server is doing all this time; searching for media devices, perhaps? Reading the hulking great Config.dat?

That's probably exactly it; the engine isn't ready for some reason. Hard to believe that a fast quad core machine would take so long... It sees the media sets and the drives (LTO-5 on fibre channel, LTO-3 on SCSI, and a DVD burner) when it doesn't show the reports, so there must be something else it's doing.