2 Week Recycle Script

I have inherited the back up system - retrospect 5 on a Macintosh and want to create the following script, but getting a little confused:

Set A, Daily backups to last 1 week - incremental.

Set B, Daily backups to last 1 week - incremental.

Week 1 put in Set A, Week 2 put in Set B, Week 3 recycle Set A, Week 4 recycle Set B so on and so on

How do I create a script to do this?

Is is simply creating a schedule for Mon, Tue, Wed, Thurs, Fri backup type recycle to set A

create a schedule for Mon, Tue, Wed, Thrus, Fri back up type recycle to Set B

or somwhere to I need to sell the schedule to go back to a normal backup type?

for example. schedule for Mon backup type recycle to set A. Then schedule Tue, Wed, Thrus, Fri back up type normal also to Set A?

Help please.

Eon

hi eon,

basically, you need to decide what day you want the Recycle to happen and then go from there. for example, most people like the Recycle to happen on Fridays, so that they have the longest time to run the full backup. keeping this in mind, here is an example of 2 schedules for each backup set:

week 1, Mon-Thurs->Normal BU, BU Set A

week 1, Fri->Recycle, BU Set B (even though you haven't got any data on BU Set B, you will want Recycles for the future & it won't hurt to go ahead and set this here. Retrospect will just do a full Backup)

week 2, Mon-Thurs->Normal BU, Set B

week 2, Fri->Recycle, BU Set A

once you have that set up (HINT: use 'Days of the Week' Schedulers), the cycle will just continue. remember that you'll need to offset the 'Start Date' in the Scheduler by one week to get the schedules to work properly, ie: week 1 start date is 8/14, week 1 recycle is 8/18, week 2 start date is 8/21, week 2 recycle is 8/25.

cheers.

Archived