How to access successful/failed bacups

I am a Junior level C# programmer working on a report for a client that is using Retrospect for their backup solution. I am trying to figure out the best way for me to capture the successful/failed backups to send to my server to build the report. The rest of the report uses the windows event logs to capture events but I cannot get a accurate view of the successful and truly failed backups.

Can anyone tell me how the events for Retrospect are stored (database/flat file) and is it encrypted? I need to figure out a way to search the Retrospect event logs and get the successful/failed backups so I can use them in my report.

All thoughts are welcomed,

Chad

hi chad,

have you taken a look at 'Reports Watcher'? it's a VB script that exports the Backup Report to HTML so that you can view it better. i believe the whole source code is shipped with Retrospect. maybe if you check their code you can figure out something that will work for you.

here's the README:

Quote:

ReportsWatcher

-------------------------

Intended primarily for large sites with multiple backup computers, ReportsWatcher is a stand-alone utility that converts Retrospect backup reports and operations logs to HTML summaries for viewing from a web browser. Used in conjunction with Retrospect's feature to automatically export the backup report to a custom location, ReportsWatcher allows you to monitor one or more backup computers from any computer with a web browser.

ReportsWatcher is fully documented in the Retrospect User's Guide.

Copyright © 2006 EMC Corporation. All rights reserved.

cheers.

Thanks for the response. I haven't looked at Reports Watcher. I'll have to look into that and see if there is anyway I can leverage it. I might be able to see how they are pulling the data and do the same.

I'm still curious if the events are stored in a database that I can query or a file that I can search.

Thanks,

Chad

hi chad,

the log file is a plain old .utx file, located here:

'C:\\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\Operations_Log.utx'

you could certainly parse that file for the data you are after.

cheers.

Thanks again for you reply. This is getting close to what I'm looking for but I cannot figure out how to tell what has finished successfully and what has failed.

Archived