Hi -

I had a question about a file called "ntuser.dat"

I only recently came across this file when I restored my computer (to the point it was at on an earlier date in time) due to a virus that my computer got. The file is found in C:\Documents and settings\(logon name). This file was not here before I restore windows. The process which I restored my computer was C:\Windows\system32\restore and clicked on "rstrui.exe"

I then followed the directions to restore windows and the virus (which I got through AIM....America Online's Instant Messenger) seemed to have been fixed. However, this file appeared. I tried to delete it several times but Windows kept saying that it was currently in use so I could not delete it (even after immediately starting up windows. Furthermore, the icon of the file is the same icon as for "Window's Media Player," but Window's Media Player cannot play such a file and neither can microsoft word, I believe. Well, what is this file? Why has it only recently shown up? Should I delete it and if so how?

Thanks for your help!

I believe ntuser.dat contains information about your profile. Each user's folder should have that file in there. It's not a file you should delete and it may not have shown up before if your Explorer was set to hide hidden files or protected OS files.

You can go to Tools>Folder Options, click on the View tab and check Hide protected operating system files. You may also want to check Do not show hidden files and folders. This is with XP so it may be slightly different if you're running a different operating system.

Archived