list of pcie scsi card options

Hi,

I am having trouble finding a list of qualified PCIe scsi cards for a new PowerMac G5. Can someone link to the list I need or recommend any cards? The only card I know of is the ATTO UL5D which is very expensive, and someone else mentioned in a recent post that it wasn't listed under qualified hardware.

Thanks for any advice.

-Derek

Interesting. Dantz's Knowledge Base article doesn't mention UL5D compatibility:

Dantz KB Article 5642

but ATTO's interoperability matrix indicates that the UL5D is compatible with Retrospect:

ATTO Interoperability Matrix

The ATTO cards are the ones that Apple people and other backup vendors recommend. We had problems with our BTO SCSI card from Apple (really an LSI Logic 22320, rebranded) in our Xserve G5 that were resolved when we replaced it with an ATTO UL4D. ATTO's support is excellent. You get what you pay for. How much is your data and your time worth? There are many listings for the UL5D on pricegrabber.com for less than $500.00 USD.

Russ

Yep, I've read both of those documents and that's kind of where I'm at. When we moved to OS X on our backup servers I upgraded to the ATTO UL3S and haven't had any problems with it, and ATTO's support has been excellent. I got burned when Apple moved to PCIe and didn't leave any legacy PCI ports. Now I am ready to roll out my CPU upgrade and can't figure out how to find any qualified SCSI cards to use. I was very surprised when I tried to install my UL3S into my G5 and couldn't do so.

How can ATTO list the UL5D as a qualified card when EMC/Retrospect doesn't list it?

I guess I'll have to take my chances with Retrospect's support, given that ATTO will support it. Retrospect, if you do support this card please hear the sarcasm in this statement. If there is a list of qualified SCSI cards please publish it somewhere findable!

Russ, thanks for the advice.

-Derek

Archived