Backup ab Disk-Backup-Folder "Restrospect" to tape

moetheone

Hello,

i have a problem with backing up some Folders to tape wich belong to a Hard-Disk-Bakup.

I found an artikel about that issue but i am still not able to solve the prob.

The article says:

"Why is the Disk Backup Set "Retrospect" folder ignored during a backup? It shows zero files in the browser after scanning the drive.

When Retrospect 6.x performs a Disk Backup to a hard drive, a folder named "Retrospect" is created. Retrospect identifies this backup set folder by looking for the file called "dantz" inside the folder named Retrospect. Retrospect automatically ignores the contents of this folder for all backup and duplicate operations when the root of the hard disk is selected as the source. If a user tries to Backup or Duplicate this folder to another disk or other backup media, it will be ignored by Retrospect resulting in Zero files being copied. If a user wishes to make a copy of the "Retrospect" folder (because they want to make a copy of the backup set stored on the hard disk), it must be defined as a subvolume and chosen as a source, rather then choosing the volume root."

But when i try to define the Folder "Retrospect" as a subvolume it still shown no content. I found this has its reason in the file "dantz" wich is in the root of the folder "Retrospect" wich i want to Backup with another Skript.

How can i solve this Problem? I defintely want to run some Bakups to disk and backup this folders later with another script to tape.

Please help me ;-)

I use Retrospect V7 on SBS 2003.

Thanx allot!

hi moeth,

could i make a suggestion here? why not try 'transferring' the backup to tape instead of backing up the backup? here's my reasoning:

1) if you backup the backup, you've got to do 2 restores. you have to restore the backup, and then do the actual restore. transferring the backup to a tape backup set allows you to do a single restore-->doesn't that sound easier?

2) in version 7 you can transfer only the latest data. backing up the backup means you have to do a full backup each time!

3) you could schedule the transfer to happen after the backup, or any time it's convenient, just like a backup.

if you like this option i encourage you to read up on it here:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=7929&p=2

start on page 124-->Scripted Backup Set Transfer, and then post any questions you have here.

Hey Waltr,

many thanx for your suggestion. That sounds rellay not bad.

I tried your way but i have the same problem as mentioned above... It is NOT poccible to select one of those "Retrospect" folders in which my 1st Backup-Set is saved for inclusion in the 2nd Backup-Set. Even if i try to go your suggested way of transferring Files in the second Backup-Set i cannot select them to be included in the Transfer.

The reason for the whole thing ist the following - to let you understand what i am trying to do:

1. Several (Linux-)Webservers are being backuped remotely over night to disk on my Office Server, thats "Backup-Set 1"

2. After completion of the Webserver-Backups the Backup of the (Windows-)Officeserver itself starts ("Backup-Set 2"), this saves to tape. In that Backup the diskspace which holds the Webserverbackups mentioned above should also be included.

What i want to achieve is, to have the Webserver-Backups on disk for fast restoring of files if i have to and also have the good feeling of having a Backup of all that stuff on tape.

So i would still be very happy for any help :-)

hi moeth,

ah, yes, you still would not be able to transfer the actual files. this is not what i meant at all. what i'd like you to do is transfer the data that's inside those files over to the tape backup set. sorry if i was not clear. here's the method:

1) set up a new script, this will be a transfer of snapshots, which you will have read about from the link in my previous post

2) pick the snapshot for these Linux computers. for example, if you are transfering from backup set A to backup set B, you will see the snapshots for all of the volumes you are backing up in A. pick the snapshot for the volume(s) you want to transfer, which might look like this:

myawsomelinuxwebserver.com /www

i encourage you to read on about this. i truly think this is the solution for you. you may end up with one extra script, but the payoff would be well worth it.

Archived