Does Mac auto-shutdown script cause error -519

jdeluise

I'm using Retrospect Single Server 6.5 on a Windows 2003 server. Currently, we back up a mixture of Windows, Linux, and Macintosh clients on our network. In the last few months, I've been getting a lot of error -519 (network communication failed), but only from the Macintosh computers and not every single time. Each Mac is a new PowerMac G5 with 2.25 GB of RAM running OS 10.3.9. More importantly, each Mac has two hard drives, a system drive and a data drive.

I don't particularly like to leave systems running constantly, so I did install the script from Dantz that does an automatic shutdown of the system after a successful backup. The -519 error usually happens after successfully backing up one volume, but during the backup of the second volume. The documentation of the shutdown script indicates that the shutdown will only happen if the user is logged out, a successful backup has happened in the last half-hour and no backup is currently running. Could someone verify that that last condition is really checked? I have a feeling the Mac shuts down during the backup of the second volume because the script is in fact not checking that a backup is currently running. Anyone else experienced this?

Archived