Hi

I'm using Retrospect server on X backing up os 9 client's.

Is there a way to change the privileges defaults, for example can I change the Group privileges of files that i restore from backup?

the reason i need this is to have the client delete the files after coping them to their local disk.

they can't do that because the files group permission is set to admin by retrospect .

neile,

What are the exact steps you are taking now?

Are you restoring through the client to the OS 9 macines?

Are you restoring to the hard drive of the OS X machine running Retrospect?

Knowing the exact steps in your desired workflow would help someone to explain the best way to make this work for you.

Dave

I'm restoring to the OS X machine and the OS9 clients are puling the files from this machine.

Well, not exact steps, so I suppose I'll just make something up and see if it's close to what you're actually doing...

- Retrospect running on OS X (Tape, File, etc) backs up OS 9 clients over network

- Backup admin restores select files to specific location on OS X machine

- Users on LAN log into OS X machine via AFP using specific login/password

- Users drag copy the files to their local drive

- Users on LAN then attempt to drag files from mounted AFP volume to Trash

- Users' login does not have adequate permissions to delete the files

Retrospect handles permissions two ways for restores.

1- Files/Folders:

Retrospect will restore files with a set of default permissions. Owner/Group will be the current logged in user/Admin. If no user is logged into the Aqua Finder (as in a scripted or remote restore), owner will be root.

2-Replace Entire:

Retrospect will restore files with the same permission mode as when they were backed up. In the case of OS 9 files (which didn't have i-node information when they were stored in the Backup Set but must have them when they're restored to the OS X file system) I don't know what permission mode they have.

Ideas:

1- Log into the Aqua Finder as the user who wants the files before doing the restore; this way the files will be owned by that user.

2- Make a folder on the share point named "trash me" that is open for users to move files into; trash this folder from the OS X machine (AppleScript could probably be used to automate this).

3- Use the terminal or a gui file editor such as X-Ray to change the permissions/ownership of the restored files before the user attempts to manipulate them.

4- Restore through the client directly to Users' local drives.

I'm sure some of these won't work, given your exact workflow requirements. Which I don't know.

Dave

Archived