Compression And La Cie AIT 1 Turbo Firewire/USB Drive

Hi,

I have just installed the above on a G4 with 10.3.3 and Retrospect 6.

The problem is that there seems to be no compression 37Gb takes up 37Gb. Hardware compression is ticked in the correct box and software compression is switched off as well as encryption.

The files are a mixture of Photoshop, Quark,pdf etc. I know that you will never get 100 % but in the past with other installations I have been able to get 30ish %. Is anybody else using the turbo and having problems, what kind of compression are they obtaining?

Any comments would be appreciated.

I don't think you will get any compression with AIT. I was using DDS4 till recently when I switched to VXA and I was also not getting any compression as these files (TIF, EPS) don't compress. I also work in graphics industry and have hundreds of those files and don't bother with compression as I was not getting any. I always care about NATIVE capacity. I can get 80 GB on the biggest tape (VXA-2). My suggestion is - don't expect unless you use doc, xls or ppt files (typical office stuff)

Derek

• 1 year later...

I have just come up against this issue with my first tape drive -- an AIT-1 turbo firewire model from Sony.

I have 40gb/104gb media and assumed I would get some form of compression. As it happens I am just getting 40gb, which means I am going through a lot of tapes to backup our 230gb file server for the first time!!!

Archived