XP file corruption/loss: How can I restore only the "missing" files?

philx509

I have this old Win 2000 system that I was planning to replace in 2-3 months. So I'm hoping not to invest a lot of time doing maintenance, etc.

The other day, I had some app blow up and lock up the system HARD. I had to force a reboot, ran chkdsk and got a bunch of corrupt directory entries, etc.

However, now I have one app that won't run. SFC won't run to completion because for some bizarre reason it does not recognize my Win 2000 SP 4 CD. SFC did comment on missing files from dllcache. (But I'm not asking for help in this area.) I also remember that some font files were affected, and now those files are missing.

What I want to do is tell Retrospect to restore only those files that are not on Drive C: and not to overwrite files on C: For some reason, I can't figure out how to do that. I even (gasp! for a guy grin.gif) read the manual. grin.gif

Oh. Right now I have Retro 6.0 Pro for Windows and I've been thinking about an upgrade to 7.0. I did a searrch on "missing" and "corrupt" going back at least six months, and I couldn't find any messages that specifically addressed my questions.

Thanks,

philx509

With Retrospect 6.5, you could use the Replace Corresponding files. This will replace any files you select to restore if the files do not exist or if they are different in anyway (different size, creation/modification date etc..) from the version that was backed up.

Retrospect 7.0 has a new option to restore only missing files.

Quote:

With Retrospect 6.5, you could use the Replace Corresponding files. This will replace any files you select to restore if the files do not exist or if they are different in anyway (different size, creation/modification date etc..) from the version that was backed up.

Retrospect 7.0 has a new option to restore only missing files.

Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I guess it makes more sense to upgrade to 7.0 and skip over 6.5 entirely.

philx509

Archived