Can I Copy A Program Back to My Hard Drive

Hi, all. I had to reinstall my OS (Windows XP Home) using the manufacturer's CDs. I'm using Retrospect Professional 7.0 with a Maxtor 1-Touch Drive. Several months before reinstalling the CD, I copied my entire drive to a partition on the Maxtor.

Because of the reinstall, I lost all backup catalogs, etc. for Retrospect. I went into the Maxtor drive and can actually boot programs from there that had been copied to that partition when I copied the entire drive.

My question: Is there any way to copy single programs from the Maxtor to the C drive? I do not have the installation programs any more.

A review of the archives and of the manual didn't give me any info on this. Since I've already reinstalled the OS, I don't know if it's advisable to now copy back the entire drive.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Brent

• 4 weeks later...

Some programs may work, but generally this won't work. Most programs install files into other directories and they also place entries into the registry. This is not restored by just copying the program folder back over.

If the program works when you run it off of the Maxtor, it probably would work if you copied it back to your harddrive.

Archived