Exchange backup logs not being truncated

We are running Retrospect multi server 6.5.350 with the exchange server add-on, on exchange 2000. After running a full backup with retrospect, it seems that the exchange backup logs are not being truncated (this should happen after exchange is fully backed up)

the files in question are located in exchsvr\mdbdata and consist of a sequence of 5 megabyte files. when exchange is informed that its had a full backup, these files are deleted. at present, i have to run NTBackup once a month just so i can get rid of these files. (its been a month today since i did this and there's 14gb of wasted space so far)

i have checked for execution errors in the backups. there was a few, which we have now eliminated, which were down to a few corrupt emails that couldnt be backed up. there are no longer any errors relating to exchange.

however there are still a couple of errors relating to open files on other servers, and also to some other files on the C: drive of the exchange server (some in winnt\temp and some in winnt\dhcp). could these be the reason why exchange isn't truncating the logs? (retrospect sees errors, doesn't care that they were on other machines, and so doesnt tell exchange its done a full backup?)

its not feasible to get the open file plugin at the moment, although i do intend to get this at some point.

thanks for any assistance

• 4 weeks later...

i am experiencing the same issue. as reported, according to Microsoft purging of these log files should take place after a "full" backup.

so, this isn't true with Retrospect?

i will give the log/incremental backup option a try.

can you tell me though, does this option work when you select indivual mailboxes for backup as suggested to do by Dantz tech support, or do you have to select for backup target the "first storage group" to get all those log files to purge out?

also, i did not find any documentation on this in the 6.5 guide.

did i miss something?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm 99% sure the logs will only be truncated after a backup of the full storage group. Mailbox backup likely won't truncate the logs.

Truncation is very sparsely covered in the user guide. The only place it is specifically mentioned is in the backup options in Retrospect.

Thanks

Nate

Archived