22 Execution errors

leesteadman

Hi all,

Problem: Log shows '22 execution errors' after an automated scheduled full backup completed.

My OS: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1, pretty much up to date on patches (avoiding Service Pack 2 because it causes problems)

Retrospect version: 6.0.222 OEM edition that came with;

Hardware: Maxtor External OneTouch 160Gb hard drive using USB 2 connection

1. What are these execution errors?

2. How to fix this problem?

3. Is this backup actually successful?

4. Why log only say 'Completed: 1 files, 20kb' - my computer has loads of files certainly mounting to more than 20kb?(!)

I looked onto the Maxtor OneTouch drive and the folder size is pretty much the same size as my PCs hard drive (no compression used as compression should not be used on already compressed files and databases).

My Log from retrospect:

27/09/2004 19:26:29: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 1 files, 20 KB

Performance: 2.3 MB/minute (1.1 copy, 1.1 compare)

Duration: 00:00:06 (00:00:05 idle/loading/preparing)

27/09/2004 19:26:30: 22 execution errors

Total performance: 491.9 MB/minute

Total duration: 01:26:10 (00:04:09 idle/loading/preparing)

Quit at 27/09/2004 19:26

+ Retrospect Express version 6.0.222

Launched at 27/09/2004 22:19

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.6.104

Thanks in advance for help given.

kind regards,

Lee Steadman

Show us the errors.

It is nearly impossible, these daze, to do a backup abd verify without having errors die to fifiles that are active while Retrospect is running.

I my case, I always see an error for a Norton Auntie Virus log file and, an ini file for the scanner software.

The latter is a result of dumb scanner software. Heck, the scanner is not evn plugged in, but for some reason the scanner softer updates an ini file, it appears, once per minute or so.

You likely have severl apps running that cause the errors.

You can reduce the erreors by pausing or exiting from some software.

However, the errors may not matter. You need to find out what is causing each one.

However, under XP, Retro Pro is supposed to do an Open File Backup using Microsoft's Volume Shadow Copy service (although I'm wishy washy on the reliability of this or Retro's use of it. Sometimes doesn't seem to work or gets reset to manual rather than auto and then doesn't run). With VSC the system make a "frozen in time" copy of the open file and then allows RP to copy it.

I run RP on several XP systems without errors even with open files. On a W2K Pro box I sometimes see OFB/sharing violation errors (and RP reporting that it can't do open file backups on a non-XP system). On another W2K Server system where I'm running Retro Multi Server (with the optional Dantz-custom OFB plugin) I don't see OFB/sharing violation errors.

On Win 2000:

1. Norton Auntie Virus 2004 causes Retrospect to burp with File "J:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsys.dll": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation).

2. The stupid Epson Smart Panel for Scanner causes Retrospect to burp with File "J:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner\SmaPanel.ini": different modify date/time (set: 9/27/2004 19:42:00, vol: 9/27/2004 19:48:38). The dumb software appears to update the SmaPanel.ini file once per minute, really bad app design!!

3. Periodically, Retrospect burps on J:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Logs\wbemcore.log. This is a known issue in Win 2000 that was allegedly fixed by an update, obviously not.

Quote:

Show us the errors...

That log I pasted into my original post was the only error I got.

I really appreciate all the help but I still can't quite be sure if this backup can be considered successful?

I get the idea that these errors are common and just because I have programs open. I had several background programs running when backing up, if it is files relating to these background programs then they are not important and this is fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Quote:

Quote:

Show us the errors...

That log I pasted into my original post was the only error I got.

I really appreciate all the help but I still can't quite be sure if this backup can be considered successful?

I get the idea that these errors are common and just because I have programs open. I had several background programs running when backing up, if it is files relating to these background programs then they are not important and this is fine.

Thanks for all the help.

Such errors are supposedf to be listed in the operations log.

I would think that Dantz owes you an explanation of why the 22 errors were not listed.

I do not recall whether there are any options to specify what errors are listed.

Ah, I just remembered!

Dantz has poor documentation.

One of it's poorly documented features is the means to see its "secret preferences".

Use CTRL ALT P P to see the Retrospect secret preferences.

Under"Debug Logging", I have all the preferences set to "3".

No idea what that means, nor have I eve seen an explanation.

I suspect that your logging preferences are more restrictive.

Quote:

Well I'm starting to see a picture here, and it's not pretty. When it comes to doing a backup I don't want to be using unstable and badly documented software so I'm considering using Veritas or Norton Ghost instead.

Did you try running with the logging preferences set to the same values I have?

If so, and you still do not get a list of explicit errors, Dantz owes you, and US, an explanation.

I do not consider imaging software, such as Ghost, a true alternative for backup, but then that opens up an entire relgious discussion, and I rarely, if ever, partake in religious discussions.

If by "Veritas", you are referring to BUMP (BackUpMy PC), that is no longer done by veritas and, at least as of version 4.85, was an inferior product functionally to Retrospect. I have not used BUMP in over a year, so I do not know if version 5 is any better, but BUMP is based on less modern technology than Retrospect.

Hi

Just a couple of clarifications:

Retrospect 6.0 does not use open file backup on windows XP so it is not unusual to get a few errors. Most of the time the errors are harmless and can be ignored. Always a good idea to check though.

All of the files that cause errors should show up in your log. They should all show up with red marks next to them - is that not happening? You should not need to turn on the advanced debug logging that Howard mentioned. This logging is hidden and undocumented as it is not helpful and often confusing for most users.

Thanks

Nate

I'm not sure if this is the same in v6.5, but in your

activity monitor window

>history tab

>>errors button

if you click this button, you should see which specific files you had errors with.

I had 86 errors the first time i ran my backup(a couple days agao) then 10 errors the next time. For some reason, Retrospect blamed a dirty head or bad media.

What I am wondering is this:The first back up basically didn't back up about 86 files correctly. Will retrospect back this files up next time it runs a backup?

Quote:

All of the files that cause errors should show up in your log. They should all show up with red marks next to them - is that not happening? You should not need to turn on the advanced debug logging that Howard mentioned.

I already asked this in another posting and the OP stated that the individual files were not listed that's why I told him about the preferences.

Quote:

This logging is hidden and undocumented as it is not helpful and often confusing for most users.

Nonesense.

Quote:

All of the files that cause errors should show up in your log. They should all show up with red marks next to them - is that not happening? You should not need to turn on the advanced debug logging that Howard mentioned.

I already asked this in another posting and the OP stated that the individual files were not listed that's why I told him about the preferences.

Quote:

This logging is hidden and undocumented as it is not helpful and often confusing for most users.

Nonsense.

I'm a "lurking Mac v. 6.0.1.9.3 user" who yesterday did her first backup since August while still trying to figure out what Firewire drives to buy for faster backups (started at 8:45 AM, began Compare phase at 5:57 PM, and finished with 11 execution errors at 6:54 PM for only 9 GB using Memorex CD-RW 4x media. Each erasure took 19 minutes, so I know that using non-rewritable CDs is part of the problem).

I know this is a Windows thread (found it with an "execution errors" search), but once the files have been identified, what does one do? All of the files listed are Greek to me, i.e. console log, cu.modem.log, DirectoryService.server.log, etc.

The answer to what one is supposed to do to fix the offending files is probably in the user guide, but I have not been able to find it.

Also, thanks to all who post the names of the backup Firewire drives they are using with success. And, thanks in advance for no flames.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nonesense.

Quote:

I'm a "lurking Mac v. 6.0.1.9.3 user" who yesterday did her first backup since August while still trying to figure out what Firewire drives to buy for faster backups (started at 8:45 AM, began Compare phase at 5:57 PM, and finished with 11 execution errors at 6:54 PM for only 9 GB using Memorex CD-RW 4x media. Each erasure took 19 minutes, so I know that using non-rewritable CDs is part of the problem).

I know this is a Windows thread (found it with an "execution errors" search), but once the files have been identified, what does one do? All of the files listed are Greek to me, i.e. console log, cu.modem.log, DirectoryService.server.log, etc.

The answer to what one is supposed to do to fix the offending files is probably in the user guide, but I have not been able to find it.

Also, thanks to all who post the names of the backup Firewire drives they are using with success. And, thanks in advance for no flames.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nonesense.

If you would read the other posts in this thread, you will learn that such files usually belong to running apps and there is no way Retrospect can back them up on systems that do not have the open file backup option.

Most of the time, you will find that those files do not really matter, but you have to examine the app fpr each to determine whethe tere may be an issue. In general, there will not be an issue.

When you do a backup, disable/stop th erelevant apps and the "errors" should decrease. All I eve rdo is disable Norton auntie virus' autoprotect. The 2 (sometimes 3) errors I see in a backup just don't matter, at least on my system.

Archived