Bad backup set error - Still

Hi

Since upgrading every Mac in our building to OS X I haven't been able to make a reliable backup using Retrospect.

I have tried everything that I can think of bar replacing the network cables, hubs and routers.

I have even upgraded(?) our Wide SCSI AIT2 drive to a LaCie d2 AIT-2 U&I drive - and still the same problem - 'Bad backup set header found'. I have 12 Macs on a 100baseT network and they all give the same error.

The hardware / software config is as follows;

Retrospect v 6.0.93 running on PPC G4 Quicksilver, OS X 10.3.5

Retrospect Driver: v 5.7 English

LaCie d2 AIT-2 U&I tape drive, firmware v 1.34

Retrospect Client driver: 6.0.108

SCSI Card removed

Sony SDX2-50C AIT Data cartridges

I'm desperate for help as we have already lost some crucial data while the system has been out of action.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Yeah, tried a different Mac - same model though. Also tried from OS9 and a direct backup by disconnecting the Mac from the Network and still get the same error.

Everything seems to be fine until the tape goes back to compare and that's when the log starts throwing up the error, usually on every file. The error happens on every Mac I try to backup.

I received a replacement drive from LaCie this morning and it hasn't solved the problem!

Frustration isn't the word :-((

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Bad backup set headers mean that the data on the tape is corrupt. This can happen if the data gets damaged on its way to the tape drive. It can also occur with bad media and drive hardware.

The fact that you have tried different macs, a different OS and even a different tape drive seems to point to media (or extremely bad luck)as the point of failure.

Do you store all your tapes in the same place? Could they all be damaged? Does a long erase of the tape complete sucessfully? Have you tried using a brand new tape out of the package?

Thanks

Nate

Archived