Retrospect & XP SP2?

Are there going to be any updates (RDUs or otherwise) for Retrospect as XP SP2 comes out? What happens to Retro systems & networks (i.e. RMS & clients) *now* (i.e. current versions, no updates) with SP2 (on the client machines? on the server machine?)? With all the new default firewall & port blocking in SP2, I'm anticipating issues with network clients.

At the moment I'm trying to make sure that systems do *not* install SP2 (Auto Update or manual) to head this off until things quiet down and vendors get updates out.

Mentioned in another thread, something I was expecting given the new firewall & port blocking in SP2. And of course fixing this takes a manual visit to *each* client machine since, with ports blocked, there's no way to get to the client. The server isn't a big deal since it's a one-time/one-place thing, and, in any case, I'm running RMS on a W2K Server rather than XP.

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=44968&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Is there anything that can be done with a client update (*before* SP2 is loaded) so that the client will be able to open the port(s) without this manual intervention?

Congrats, Retrospect (Client) made MS's official SP2 list:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2

Programs that may behave differently in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) introduces a number of new features that help increase the performance and the security of your system. These changes also affect the operations and functionality of some programs... The programs that are listed in this article may experience issues after you upgrade to Windows XP SP2. You may not notice some of these issues. Additionally, software vendors may have resolved some of these issues. Contact the software manufacturer or vendor for more specific details.

----------------------------------------

Retrospect Client x Dantz

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a domain with Windows Server 2003, you can use Group Policy to configure XP SP2 firewall.

If you don't have 2003, you can still add the following entry to your login scripts:

netsh firewall set portopening protocol = ALL port = 497 name = "Retrospect Backup" mode = ENABLE scope = SUBNET profile = DOMAIN

(that is all on 1 line)

Note that you may need to change scope = SUBNET if all your clients aren't in the same subnet as the backup server...

This will keep you from having to manually go visit each workstation to get Retrospect client working after SP2 installs.

I don't know if this requires local admin rights, all my users already have it on their own workstation...

Can anyone tell me whether any of this is applicable IF the SP2 firewall is disabled?

I just installed SP2 on my desktop last week. My last successful backup was a week ago, prior to the upgrade.

Yesterday, I updated both the server and the client software on my PC to test. Now, the server cannot see my client.

I do have ZoneAlarm installed, but I have always had it installed and have never had a problem before.

Any thoughts?

There is a document on the Microsoft Technet site about managing the firewall settings of SP2 using group policy.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23277

Check this link for more info on managing SP2

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/xpsp2man.mspx

On a network without active directory or any other form of management then you may be required to be more hands on when configuring the firewall on each machine. I saw something on that second link about creating an inf file to create default settings to distribute along with the update installer.

Archived