retrospect slow and log file errors (file/folder missing)

ok... im not sure what im doing wrong...we've had retrospect for a long time.. and never really got around to using it again since we switched our file server off an old os8 i think.

anyway... were running our fileserver from win server 2003 now... ive tried a few ways of backing it up and seems to be the same prob either way...

ive tried doing it with a version of retrospect ON the windows machine itself... to a local hard drive, a usb drive, and a tape drive...

ive tried doing it over the network from a mac os 9 computer to the external usb drive, and a tape drive...

seems whichever way i do it... it goes slow..(if you ask me) like 45-50 mb/min... and then when its done... the log file shows a bunch of files that gave an error... blah blah missing file/folder or something... not exactly sure the version of retrospect... its at the office.. i can repost it later...its a few years old anyway... im just not sure what the prob is or how to fix it.... is it the filenames? the files are being saved/copied from os x machines to the pc fileserver... is that the prob somehow? anyone know what i can do? do i need another version of retrospect? .... clueless here about it.. please help

thanks

Cameron

The version of retrospect i am running is 5.6 Desktop. It came with our tape drive.

tried a few different backup devices... and different operating systems.. same results...

tried right on the windows server 2003 machine... backing up to hd, tape drive, and usb external drive

and tried over the network on a system 9.2 mac, to the usb external drive

that help?

Hi

Retrospect 5.6 has not been tested with Windows 2003 so its hard to predict what will happen.

To clarify - any backup you do runs at 40MB / minute? This is normal for Travan tape drives and USB 1.1 devices. Have you tried creating a file backup set and saving it on the internal hard disk?

Thanks

Nate

Archived