"device busy" message

I have retrospect backup 5.6 for windows. Works find on one machine. On another (all running windows 98 SE), I keep getting "device busy" message for the CD-R drive. We have adaptec software and I have already disabled this. I have tried all of the suggestions from Restrospect website. Anyone have any other ideas?

Which CD-R drive are you using? Are there any CD's in the tray when you start Retrospect?

Try _temporarily_ uninstalling any other CD burning software you have installed on the system. Does the problem go away? If so, this would indicate that the other software was not completely disabled.

I am using a Safe and Friendly #8020 CD-R drive on that computer with Adaptec CD burning software. I do have a blank CD in the tray when starting Retrospect. The Adaptec software on this computer is the same as on the other computer with which I have no problems running Retrospect. If I cannot find another solution, I will try uninstalling the Adaptec software and see if Retrospect will work. Thank you for your reply.

I have already confirmed that that the the device is supported. This is a computer that has passed through several employees and there is a large possibility that other cd burning software has been installed in the past and never properly removed or some other software that is conflicting with Retrospect. I'm really upset though because I purchased Retrospect specifically for this particular computer because I'm tired of manually restoring it everytime someone crashes it!

Thank you for your reply.

Under configure>device>environment it lists "SAF CD-R8020" under device name and "1.2" under version. These are listed on value 0:6

Under My Computer>properties, it is listed under CD-ROM as "SAF CD-R8020"

The SAF CD-R8020 is not currently supported for use with Retrospect. Dantz puts all drives through a rigorous qualification testing to ensure that your data is being properly backed up. While we can't guarantee that we will support any drive, keep your eye on our Hardware Search Engine. We are continually qualifying new drives.

www.dantz.com/hardware

Archived