Differential backup working?

I'm running Exchange Server 2000 on W2K Standard Server (both with latest updates), Retrospect 6.5.350 multi-server. My scripts are set to do a Differential backup of Exchange. Currently the database is around 40GB.

The scripts have been running for months with zero errors, but recently I looked into the log files and noticed something odd when it gets to the Exchange Storage Group: "Remaining: 0 files, 0.0GB" and "Completed: 3 files, zero KB" with a performance of 0.0 MB/minute. Then I look in the Database Backup History, and it only shows the instances of Full backup. (Unlike my SQL backups, which are set the same way, and both Full and Differential backups show in the history, and logs are showing that data is being saved).

Is my Differential Exchange backup working or not? Why is the log file showing zero data? and why is the history not showing that my Differential backup occurred?

• 1 month later...

Hi Lee,

Can't offer any advice, but I'm experiencing exactly the same problem (except I'm running Exchange W2K3 on W2K3 Std Server).

I'm quite sure the differential backups are NOT working as I've sat and watched the execution and it skips accross the Exchange Storage groups in a couple of seconds. This occurs even on the first backup of a new backup set so I'm sure you (or I) wouldn't be able to restore the database if required.

If anyone can post an answer I'd be grateful to receive it. In the interim, I've changed my backups to full rather than differential 'till I can find a fix.

More info on this. There is definately something screwy going on here! I tried a differential backup and Retrospect told me the Exchange Storage Group was 17,179,869,183.9 GB!!!

Now, call me cynical, but I don't think that can be accurate! It then skips the Storage Group backup and adds the log entry noted by Lee above.

I then tried a full backup and Retrospect reported that the Storage Group was 8.4 GB (closer, but I know that the databases add up to 4.2 GB).

I recreated the backup script again using a full backup and this time I got an accurate Storage Group size of 4.2 GB.

What's going on here? Any Dantz folk moderating this group who could shed some light?

I did a test run differential not long ago and noticed the same exact issue with the outrageously large file size of the Store. I did NOT have the issue with the mis-reporting of the Store after then doing a full backup, however. And during the differential, despite the huge file size reported, it finished in a time that was more in line with the actual size.

Just another data point...

Paul

Hi,

My apologies for the slow response. I must have missed this thread somehow.

I'd like to take a closer look at this if possible. Type CTRL + ALT + P + P at any screen in Retrospect and turn trees and volumes logging up to 6. Then run a differntial backup of the Exchange databases. This will fill your Retrospect operations log with a ton of logging. Send the entire operations log to pacrimsupport@dantz.com along with a system info report for all of the machines involved.

Please also make sure that there aren't any other programs backing up Exchange when Retrospect is running. This includes the Windows backup utility.

We're happy to accept logs from anyone running into this problem.

Thanks

Nate @ Dantz Technical Support

Archived