1017 error for NTUser.Dat & UsrClass.Dat

robr

Hi,

I'm using the trial version of Retrospect Pro (6.5.350), and I'm almost ready to take the plunge and order a copy. The only thing that's holding me up right now is that I'm getting 1017 errors. I've searched through other forum postings (other posted 1017 errors didn't seem specific to NTUser.Dat & UsrClass.Dat), and have tried changing Retrospect Launcher Log On to my account (the account has admin priv). I also changed Preferences -> Security to run as the same user account with admin priv. But so far nothing has helped. Here are the errors:

MapError: unknown Windows error -1,017

xpmlStoreMetadata: couldn't copy file "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUser.Dat" to the state folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\MetaInfo\writer0000\comp0001\file0010", winerr -1017, error -1001

MapError: unknown Windows error -1,017

xpmlStoreMetadata: couldn't copy file "\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.Dat" to the state folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\RtrExec.dir\Exec\State\MetaInfo\writer0000\comp0001\file0011", winerr -1017, error -1001

Does someone have suggestions on other things to try to get this error ironed out?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi

Make sure to set the launcher service to defaults - you don't need to modify it manually in Retrospect 6.5.

These errors look like system files of some sort. Especially the volume shadow copy entries. Are you able to copy these files using windows explorer?

Thanks

Nate

Hi Nate,

Thanks for the quick reply. I just tried navigating to the files in "Documents and Settings\Administrator", and it gave me an error "Access is denied". The security tab for this directory only lists user names Administrator and SYSTEM as having access, so as an experiment I've added "Rob" to the list, which is the account I've been running retro under (which has admin privs). So now I can navigate into the Administrator directory and copy both those files. I'll let the backup run tonight and see if the problem goes away.

If the permissions on the Administrator directory was the problem, I'm wondering if I should be configuring retro differently, like running it using the Administrator account instead of my "Rob" account. Shouldn't "Rob" be able to read anything on the disk, being an admin account?

Rob

Last night's backup ran without error, so I guess the permissions were the problem after all. I still don't understand why the admin account it ran under couldn't read into that Administrator directory, but at least it's working now.

Rob

Archived