Backing up mapped network drives

Here is the config of the network backup system that I inherited...I don't have much experience with Retrospect, so any knowledgeable advice is appreciated.

Retrospect 4.3 Server running on Mac OS 9.2

Retrospect 5.6 client running on Windows XP

I want to know if/how I can backup a mapped network drive from my PC to the Retrospect server. I have been unable to get a clear answer on this. Thanks.

Dave

How are you mounting the PC on the Mac desktop? The better solution is to use the Retrospect Client software for direct access to the computer.

If you can mount the drive, backup should probably work fine - however, you may run into issue with Windows file names. Windows allows characters that the Apple OS does not and vice versa.

I am using the Retrospect Client software for direct access to the PC...however, on the Retrospect server it does not register mapped drives as volumes in the client database for a Windows client. I cannot find a way to make it backup the mapped drive since the Client software has very little user-control and the server will not "see" the mapped drives.

What about backing up an SMB share from a Mac OS X PC with a 5.6 client and a 5.x Retrospect server? My problem is I have a Linux box with a massive filespace I need to archive, so I can't copy it somewhere and I'm hoping to find a way to archive it without having to purchase any other software. Is there a way to do that with my situation?

Thanks for any and all advice.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to backup directories from a machine running Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

The linux client for Retrospect does not work with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. So

I have mapped the drive on machine running Enterprise Linux to a Windows XP

machine through Samba. Now, Can I take backup of this mapped drive on the

XP machine. When I tried the backup, the mapped drive do not show up at all.

I am trying to backup contents on Red Hat Enterprise from a Windows XP machine

by connecting to the Samba volume directly. The question is, how do I connect to

Samba as a user with "root" priviledges?

I have created a user on the PC named "root" with administrator priviledges. I have

also created a user named "root" for Samba access on the Samba server side. I can

see and read all the files on the Linux machines accessible to "root" on the Linux from

the PC. However Retrospect fails with "1017-permission denied" error.

Archived