I installed the 5.0203 updater on my ASIP server and now instead of the "elem.c-812" error, the server crashes. The ASIP server is connected to a SCSI Raid 5 array with 200Gigs of total storage - 130 of which is used. Backups seem to get half way done before the crash occurs. I am backing up my ASIP server via the retrospect client over my network to a backup server using an ALT DLT library. Retrospect Server has been allocated 50MB of Ram, and the server is running Mac OS 9.2.2. Has anyone had any similar problems? If so, any suggestions on how to resolve the issue?

Regards,

Van Franklin

I have a similair problem. I am running the server version of Retrospect 5 (updated with the patch yesterday) on an OS 10.1.3 computer with a VIA firewire tape backup. It is set to backup three servers every night. One of the servers is an Appleshare IP 6.3.3 file and web server. Every night it crashes the AppleShare server in the middle of the backup. This is a VERY BIG PROBLEM! I just spent a large amount of $$ for the full version of 5.0 server and I have yet to get a complete backup without a server crash. Because the other servers are OS X I have no choice but to use Retro 5 or not have backups.

Any help from other users or Dantz would be very much appreciated!

P.S. I have been using different versions of Retrospect on Mac servers for years, so this stuff is nothing new to me.

Can you be a bit more specific when you say "crash"? What happens, exactly, to both the ASIP server and the machine running Retrospect? Can you give the OS of each? Is it an assert? Is there a Retrospect error log in the Retrospect folder? A system crash? In the backup, are you locking out ASIP users?

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Specifically-

All ASIP services will stop. Sometimes it is a hard crash - i.e. no response when the mouse is moved/cannot be pinged from another comp on the network. Sometimes it is a crash that simply stops all ASIP services but it will respond to pings and the mouse - this kind of crash will not allow "Restart" to work when it is selected from the "Special" menu. Even though the computer seems responsive to some extent, the power cord still must be pulled before it will restart and be functional again.

Retrospect itself has responded in two different ways when the "crash" occurs. One way is to give a message saying something like "attempting to reconnect to network client" - the other way retrospect will respond is to look and act as if it is runnning fine (but with no progress being made). I will then attempt to stop the current backup, it will ask for my admin password, i will give it my password, tell it to stop the backup and it will sit there saying it is stopping the script. An hour later I will force quit because it will just sit there saying it is stopping.

This is what I see in the error logs from lst night attempted backup. Last night was the more mild kind of crash I described above:

Can't read file “xxxxx.htm”, error 1 (unknown), path: “Macintosh HD/xxxx/xxxx.

User access is not disabled during backups.

Server: ASIP 6.3.3 OS 9.1 G4/400 with 448MB RAM

iMac running Retro 5 is iMac 500 OS 10.1.3 with 320mb RAM

The server is normally very stable. Crashes maybe every other month (until now). Retrospect always worked perfectly before 5.0 and nothing else has really been changed on the server except retrospect.

As I said in a different thread, this is happening to me, too. I am running Retrospect 5 on a Mac OS X 10.1.3 machine. When the backup starts on the AppleShare IP 6.3.3 server (running on a PowerMac G4/450 in 9.1), the file checking procedes normally, the updating priveleges completes successfully, and then the Copying starts. After that, my experience varies. Usually, the server crashes as soon as the first file is attempted to be copied. One time, aaround 90 MB were copied before the crash.

I have Macsbug on the Server, but it reports different apps were active when the crashes occurred. No pattern.

I hope Dantz can find te problem quickly.

Thanks

Don Carlile

I've posted to other threads, but I'll say what I have to say here too.

I'm getting the same problem. Every time my retrospect 5.0.203 server hits my ASIP 6.3 file server, it has a hard freeze. All my users get the 'Server has unexpectedly disconnected' message and I get to go reboot my server using apple-control-power. I'm running backups in the day right now as I am too scared to run anything at night and have another week of coming in at 6:30am before everyone else to restart it and do a validity check...

My solution - not a solution really - has been to set up a temp backup server running retro 4.3 to catch the servers only. I am still doing clients with 5.0.203, which seems okay, but it certainly isn't a great thing.

I will be thrilled to have the rock-solid, super-stable version of Retrospect I am accostumed to once all of these problems have been worked out.

I am having the exact same problem, as described by previous two people. On top of a million other errors which I think might be fixed with the patch and a total reinstall of Retrospect, my ASIP server has now decided to consistently crash every time it is backed up. I am running Retrospect 5 in OS 9.1 with 60 Megs assigned to it. My ASIP server is running OS 9.1. Only two drives on my server are the built in 9 GB and a 30GB fire wire drive. The server crashes when either drive is backed up.

II'm getting the same problem. Every time my retrospect 5.0.203 server hits my ASIP 6.3 file server, it has a hard freeze. All my users get the 'Server has unexpectedly disconnected' message and I get to go reboot my server using apple-control-power.

On the OX 10.3 Server side running version 5.0 retrospect server, I will see a net retry at the ASIP 6.3 file server internet address and it will stay there until I enter a password and kill the process.

This persistant net retry with aparently no time out is occuring often. I will get this error with portable taken off line, ASIP 6.3 file server crashing, OS 8.6 computers crashing, and computers being put to sleep. I use to back up 100-200 GB per week. With all of these net retyr problems I am lucky to back up 50 GB per week checking while checking on the server progress 5 times a week.

I hope Dantz can find the bug soon. I don't really have the money to set up a backup server and autoloader for just the OS 10 clients.

I am seeing the same ASIP crashing problem with my ASIP server running on Mac OS 9.04. It is ASIP 6.32. I was originally hoping that moving to 9.1/6.33 combo would fix the problem. Obviously not.

I guess what I was asking is if anyone is seeing the problem using a version of Mac OS LATER then 9.1.

So far, no one has reported that they have.

David

(who also wonders what version of CarbonLib people who are having this problem have installed...)

So I switched to OS X server this weekend and when I went to back it up, guess what, an elem.c-812 error. Is it not possible to back file servers up any more Dantz? Running Retro 5.0.203 on a OS 9.2.2 server, backing up a ~30GB file server running OS X 10.1.3 server. Check it out :

" Retrospect Problem Report

date: 4/14/2002 10:07 PM

version: 5.0.203

Internal consistency check failed:

Assertion check at "elem.c-812"

Stack Crawl...

DATA_0000 +4cc44

DATA_0000 +f0214

DATA_0000 +2962c

DATA_0000 +1ad2c

DATA_0000 +5f090

DATA_0000 +544c8

DATA_0000 +5f288

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f2ac

DATA_0000 +5f63c

DATA_0000 +63bdc

DATA_0000 +2fe60

DATA_0000 +1f288c

DATA_0000 +1f39a4

DATA_0000 +55c74

DATA_0000 +55e98

DATA_0000 +1f3d14

DATA_0000 +2fe60

DATA_0000 +ca0c4

DATA_0000 +2fe60

DATA_0000 +cbc80

DATA_0000 +2fe60

DATA_0000 +d3244

DATA_0000 +55c74

DATA_0000 +55e98

DATA_0000 +55c74

DATA_0000 +55e98

DATA_0000 +d3308

DATA_0000 +55c74

DATA_0000 +55e98

DATA_0000 +29868

DATA_0000 +55c74

DATA_0000 +55e98

DATA_0000 +29968

DATA_0000 +29ab4

---"

Any help would be cool.

Earlier I asked:

is if anyone is seeing the problem using a version of Mac OS LATER then 9.1

To which carlile apparently responded with:

Yes, I am running Mac OS 9.1 on my server. Checking CarbonLib , I find the version is 1.1.1

Uh, I guess that would actually be a "no."

Versions of Mac OS LATER then 9.1 would include 9.2, and 9.2.2.

And CarbonLib is up to version 1.5

What would be _very_ interesting is to know if upgrading an ASIP server that is having this problem to the current version of Mac OS solves the problem...

Dave

Retrospect Server 5 (yes I installed the recently posted "minor" update) is still crashing our AppleShare IP Server (6.3 on OS 9.1). Until last Friday, backing up the AppleShare IP Server via mounted volumes (instead of via Retrospect Client) worked. On Saturday, even that crashed our AppleShare Server (curser froze on AppleShare Server, volumes became unmounted on Retrospect Server).

My plan was to upgrade our AppleShare IP Server to OS X Server, but, from your post, that appears to have bugs as well.

Any suggestions?

I am also having the same problem. I installed the patch, and everything was working fine for a couple of days. Now, all of a sudden, my AppleshareIP server will crash hard each time Retro starts to back it up. I have kick-off installed on that machine, and it restarts it, telling me there was a system error.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I can't backup my ASIP without it crashing the server. To try to work around this, I had been backing the important data by mounting the volumes with my Backup Server and just backing them up off of the Backup server desktop. This worked last week. I rotated out last weeks set and started a new one today. Now backing up mounted volumes isn't working either. The first time it tried to backup a mounted volume from the ASIP server, it crashed the ASIP server. I once again cannot backup my ASIP server, nor can I backup my OSX clients(which is another post). I am normally a very patient person, but we are a small office and I am not a full time IT guy with nothing else to do but make my backup server work. I have too much other work to do besides sitting around trying to get my $350 upgrade to actually back something up. If you can't yet make software that will back up an OSX client, fine I won't upgrade my machines to OSX. But don't tell me this upgrade works when it doesn't, so now I end up spending countless hours beta testing for Dantz. That is just not cool.

dworth -

Well, it seems to be a fifty-fifty trade off. I'vev upgraded my ASIP server to a Mac OS X server and I *can't* back it up directly using the client. After it has calculated the amount of files, I get an elem.c-812 error reported or else Retrospect server just crashes. That said, the one plus over an ASIP server is at least the file server happily keeps serving.

I have successfully backed up the OS X file server as a mounted volume on my retrospect machine two out of two times now. That makes me feel a bit better - at least all my files are backed up - I'lll worry about permissions and stuff if I need to do a restore.

But no, at this point I wouldn't go through the effort of migrating to an OS X server just to get backed up. It means moving over to an untested platform and hoping you'll be able to get it backed up before anything goes wrong. At least on your ASIP server, you know how it runs and performs. But, if you have been itching to make the move over anyway, maybe this is a good time. I am, thusfar, very impressed with OS X server as a file server - permissions weren't too much of a headache and the OS handles admirably under load.

Backup better - maybe just backup?

BiG

Archived