WIN 98 FE Reboots causing backup failure

Software: WIN 98 FE (first edition) Ver 4.10.1998 / Dantz Ver 6.0.206 Retrospect

Hardware: Gateway G6-300 Pentium processor / ACOM HD060U2E2 60 GB external USB 2.0

Communication via: USB 1.0

When attempting to perform any backup, either a Disk Backup or Duplicate, WIN 98 will after a period of time, shut down and reboot causing backup failure. Several repeated attempts at Duplicate show WIN 98 failure when about 466 files or 26.7 MB have been successful. WIN 98 then fails. Normal recover includes disk scan and then normal operations.

Potential know issues:

1) ACOM HD060U2E2 is not on approved hardware list. ACOM 120 GB HDD are so is this just a hardware compatability issue?

2) ACOM will run under USB 2.0 and 1.0. Does running under USB 1.0 contribute to the failure?

3) Ability to upgrade from USB 1.0 to 2.0 is limted since most USB cards require WIN 98 SE.

Any suggestions or confirmation that item 1 is the killer is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi

Retrospect does not load any drivers for hard disks so your configuration is fully supported. That said I think there is a driver problem on your machine. I too have been fighting with USB2/ USB1 hard drives in win98/me and it is a mess. Retrospect only pushes data to the drive so I doubt the problem is there. See if you can get updated adapter drivers or drivers for the hard drive if possible.

Nate

Hi

External hard drives do not require support from Dantz. If they work in Windows they will work with Retrospect. In other words, your drive is fully supported even though it is not on the device list. I'm pretty sure this is a driver issue outside of Retrospect.

Thanks

Nate

I agree that this is likely to be a basic drive issue, and not related to Retrospect. I have a Buslink USB 2.0 drive that works fine under Win98FE, but Buslink provides separate drivers for error-free operation under USB 1 vs 2.0 The fact that a separate driver is required attests to the quirkiness of USB support under Win98. Perhaps a separate USB 2.0 card will solve your problem. It will also speed up your disk access more than ten-fold.

Archived