Assertion Failure at "provider.cpp-989"

I am using Single Server 6.5 running on Windows Server 2003 and whn I go to scan for devices, I get the above error and Retrospect quits out. I have been unable to locate the error in the knowledge base so if someone knows how to fix this, I would appreciate your assistance.

Error : Assertion Failure at "provider.cpp-989"

• 4 weeks later...

I'm now getting that error on my Win2003 Server as well. I'm running 6.5.336.

Retrospect has encountered a serious error:

Assertion failure at "provider.cpp-989"

The backup hardware is TWO Sony AIT Autoloaders -- a SDX-300C (scsi ID 5 and active terminator) and a SDX-500C (scsi ID 4) connected to an Adaptec 2940UW. Both are connected to a Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz Acer Altos G510 with 4 GB Ram. The machine also has an Adaptec 29160 with a 2 TB external Raid 5 chassis connected.

Help?

- Al

Quote:

algilson said:

I'm now getting that error on my Win2003 Server as well. I'm running 6.5.336.

Retrospect has encountered a serious error:

Assertion failure at "provider.cpp-989"

The backup hardware is TWO Sony AIT Autoloaders -- a SDX-300C (scsi ID 5 and active terminator) and a SDX-500C (scsi ID 4) connected to an Adaptec 2940UW. Both are connected to a Dual Xeon 2.4 Ghz Acer Altos G510 with 4 GB Ram. The machine also has an Adaptec 29160 with a 2 TB external Raid 5 chassis connected.

Help?

- Al

Just to troubleshoot this a little more -- I turned off the SDX-300C, and left everything plugged in the way that it was. Retrospect now runs fine. But when I turn both drives back on it throws the error.

- Al

Hi

First make sure you disable (not uninstall) the windows drivers for the tape drives and loaders in the windows device manager.

You can skip the device scan in Retrospect by holding down shift and space as you click on configure-devices-environment. Once you get into the environment window right click and ignore every thing but the tape drives and loaders.

Can you try it with just the 300c? which of these is first on the chain?

nate

Thanks Nate,

Here's the chain: Adaptec 2940 UW Pro, SDX-500C, SDX-300C, Active Terminator. All cables are 2' long or less. I disabled both drives in the hardware manager of Windows, and it was still crashing.

After changing cables, and terminators I thought I found the problem with a pinched pin 2 on the 68-pin cable -- but that was a no go.

So I went direct into the 500C. No problem. Direct into the 300C -- problem came back. So, I know now that it's the 300C. We just received it back from Sony after going in for repair (it was eating tapes, not ejecting, etc.) On the work order, it mentions that they updated the firmware. I checked, and it's now version L202. This 300C used to be our only drive and I know that it worked with Retrospect -- as it's been running for a couple years. The 500C was ordered to replace the 300C while it was in the shop.

I updated the Retrospect drive to 4.7, from 4.6, but that didn't make a difference.

We're going to run with just the 500C for the time being, but the 300C would sure be helpful to get running.

- Al

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Me again.

For reference to those who care:

We upgraded from version 6.52 to version 7.0.249 Multi Server -- and we have since added two external USB DVD burners. When loading version 7.0.249, the error came back. If you install Retrospect driver update 7.0.1.103 (which I assumed was included in the original 7.0 installer as they have the same release date -- but, it's not) the problem will go away. Hope that helps someone.

- Al

Archived