2 Win2k Clients reporting 1015 Gig of Data to be backed up

anbessa2002

I've OS 9 and OS X servers running Retrospect 5.0238.

I've two Clients both Win2k which are getting backed up over the Network. Suddenly Retrospect is reporting that this clients have 1015 Gig of data. In actuality they have about 4 Gig of data. This what I've done so far:

1. Removed and re-installed Resrospect Client 5.6 twice.

2. Run ScanDisk which did not find any errors.

3. Added Clients on 4 different servers

And mind you this computers were getting backed up fine for the past 6 month.

Anybody out there run into this problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi

Just to clarify:

You have installed Retrospect on 4 different servers and tried adding these clients? Every time they come up reporting a terrabyte of disk size?

If you havent allready try using new preferences for Retrospect.

How much data is in your backup set?

Thanks

Nate

From the 5.0 Read Me:

Finder.dat files under Windows When scanning a Windows client, Retrospect 5.0.236 and 5.0.238 may incorrectly report an amount of data to back up that far exceeds the total capacity of the volume scanned. This problem occurs when Retrospect encounters one or more "finder.dat" files on the Windows client volume. Finder.dat files are created when dual-fork Macintosh files are copied to a Windows volume through utilities such as Mac OS's File Exchange or Retrospect's Duplicate functionality. They are used to track the multiple parts of the Mac file while it's on the Windows volume. This problem is fixed on Retrospect 5.1 for Macintosh.

Additional information on finder.dat files can be found in the following Dantz Knowledgebase article:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=26856

---

This issue was resolved in Retrospect 5.1

• 1 year later...

Hello,

This has been bedevilling me increasingly of late, as I have a mixture of Mac OS X and Windows clients to backup as well as staff who exchange a lot of files via file sharing, hence a lot of files named finder.dat end up on the Windows boxes. For the record, my server's setup is thus:

PM G4/Dual 867 MHz, Mac OS X.3.9, Retrospect Server 5.0.238, Adaptec 29160, Sony AIT-700C tape drive. Clients are typically OS X.2/X.3 with client 5.0.540, or Win 2K/XP with client 6.0.110.

This is not the best combination I know, but I am limited by budgeting in my department, and purchasing an upgrade to resolve an issue is not an ideal solution!

What is particularly frustrating:

(a) When encountering one of these clients reporting over 1000 GB of data to be backed up, the execution halts rather than skipping the client. The system that used to work, whereby I would schedule nightly backups and ask a designated group of users to leave their computers on overnight, now fails regularly to back up all of the Windows boxes (and until I changed the order of volumes in the source groups the Macs were suffering too).

(B) Excluding files named "finder.dat" from the backup does not appear to remedy the miscalculation of data size and hence the execution halting.

© The error message as given in the log, "Can't add that much data to backup set. The limit is 1000.0 G." doesn't appear to be referenced anywhere in the Dantz Knowledgebase, nor any remedy - the article AmyJ has cited above is tangential, and certainly doesn't resolve this issue, and I don't have the patience to trawl through hundreds of possible articles when a simple search can't match a phrase precisely!

Best regards, Philip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I don't think excluding the old finder.dat files will reslove this. If I'm not mistaken they should be removed from the source disk.

When you say retrospect "halts" what happens? Does it lock up or does it just throw up a message asking for user input? Does this happen when Retrospect launches automatically too?

Thanks

Nate

Archived