Windows client 5.6.112

sholton

Retrospect for workgroups 5.6.127 (online upgraded from 5.5 CD and CD client).

BACKUP 'SERVER' Win 98 SE PIII 733Mhz 384M RAM 40G HD ECRIX SCSI VXA DRIVE

2 clients Win 98 SE, PII 450Mhz 128M

1 client Celeron 400Mhz Win ME 128M

1 client Win XP P4 1.4GHz 256M

100 base TX through a Netgear 10/100 switch

Configure > Clients > Add > Test works for all 3 clients. (shows 'Client found at (ipaddr) version 5.16.112' in small dialog box)

Manual 'ping' from each client to all other machines ('server' and other clients) works

Transfer files FINE (FTP) between any combination of clients and server

Map drives from other machines in network FINE

No NETBEUI in protocol stack of any machine ("I want to enable Netbios over TCP..." is checked and grayed out in network properties for Netbios tab in network properties dialog)

Retrospect admin from 'server' can update clients to new level. (that's how I upgraded clients). Can also 'Sync' clocks of all clients, etc., no problem.

Client on each machine has 'On' radio button checked and says 'Ready' in status. READ only --NOT--checked and NO 'private vols' etc. excluded on Access tab, Preferences have slider all the way to the right (backup), and only 'Notufy after backup' checked, Backup Server is 'as soon as possible'.

Fixed IP addresses for each machine.

Ran SCANDISK (thorough) on all drives on all machines (clients and server) - no errors found.

When I attempt to view client properties from server, (Configure > Clients > double-click client) client shows 'not conected'. Click 'Refresh' button, shows 'In use' momentatily,then 'Speed test failed Error -1101 (file/dir..'. Nobody else was on any of the systems (so if any files were moved or deleted, the client did it!), as I am here alone at night, and scandisk found no errors, so why the -1101? (client shows 'connected' after this for a while - I don't know why or when, but 'not connected' shows again when I check later after performing tests on other clients, if that helps)

When I attempt to backup (or PREVIEW from backup), with clients and individual drives on server selected as source, I get "Sorry can't list volumes on client (clientname) error -1101 Do you want to continue with other clients?". If I select 'Yes' to continue, I get the same error for each client in succession. Finally, processing backs up server disks ('C' and 'D'), but no clients.

If I CHANGE from 'Client Desktop' to 'Selected Volumes' on the client page (back in Configure Clients from server), and click Refresh, and I get a different error (-540 I think... forgot to write that one down in my notes...)

I paid for the Workgroup upgrade from Desktop 5.1 to Workgroup 5.5 in order to backup registry of clients, and perhaps gain a little speed over mapping all drives to 'server' and performing desktop backup. However, I could not get clients to work with 5.5, and still can't get clients to work with 5.6.

Does anyone know what is wrong here? Does anyone successfully use the clients? Or are the clients really beta software - they seem VERY flaky, and are poorly documented (and the error messages are no help, since I eliminated the 'probable' causes of the -1101 suggested in the error doc, and they still don't work... suggests to me that either the -1101 must also mean something else that is not documented...)

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

I have spent MUCH time trying various combinations of stuff (added NETBEUI to protocol stacks except XP which no longer supports NETBEUI, un-installed/re-installed clients, etc.) to try to make this work, and NO LUCK. I don't need a hobby to occupy all my spare time - I need a backup of my network that WORKS. Can Retrospect fulfill this requirement, or do I need to look elsewhere?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Do any of the clients (or the server) have multiple TCP/IP adapters or NIC cards?

If you forget a client and log it back in again, does the problem remain the same? Have you tried installing Retrospect on one of the client computers to see if it can access the remaining clients without an error?

This is the first time I have heard of this type of symptom when trying to connect to the client.

Are the clients configured for DHCP, and/or is WINS in use?

Does the account you are logged in at the server have admin rights at the client side?

Does the account that installed the client side have admin rights?

The admin part should not have an effect for the 9x clients, but I know it kicked my tail when I was getting going.

BillN

DHCP and WINS are not used - IP addresses are 'hard' assigned (192.168.10.x)

There is no ADMIN that I am aware of for '98 -- how would I set one up? I have no NT/2000 machines in the mix (the XP was just added recently, but is only a CLIENT, and not a 'server').

Archived