Backup Restoration Problems - "Unknown Status"

Hello all. I posted last January with a problem using my DVD-RAM drive for backing up data using a G4 450 MHz Sawtooth with Retrospect 5.0 Error 102 on OSX w/ DVD-RAM - Dantz Forums . Since then, using from what I understand was a workaround using Disk Utility to "Standard" format discs and then let Retrospect format them, I have been able to backup both the above stated machine, along with a G4 1 GHz DP Powermac using the DVD-RAM drive. Both machines are running OS 10.2.6. Slowly but surely, my main hard-drive on the G4 Quicksilver DP (dual-processor) has begun to bite the dust, taking my important data with it. Today, I attempted to restore the lost data, and each time I insert one of my DVD-RAM discs with a backup set on it, it is listed as "unknown status" in the Retrospect window. I can still read and write to the disc fine using the finder. If I try to perform any action on the disc using Retrospect, it will not allow it due to the "unknown status" of the media. I called customer support and was told 5.1 fixed this issue. Well, I downloaded the trial of 5.1 after uninstalling my current 5.0 (since the site says you cannot have both installed at the same time), and this didn't work either. With frustration mounting, I hope someone here can offer a reasonable solution to this issue. Any comments greatly appreciated.

-Chris

Archived