New version crashing my AppleshareIP boxes

Hello all. Wondering if any one else has seen problems like this. We just rolled out our upgraded Retrospect server running version 5.0 Server on OSX.1.3 and a LTO tape robot. It is working great with our other OSX boxes. The problem that we are running into is that it will repeatedly crash our older servers running AppleShareIP version 6.3.3 and also older versions. These boxes have the client version 5.0.201. What we are seeing happen is that these computers will hardlock. We don't really have any non-production boxs that we can do alot of testing on but it does seem to happen when someone tries to make a share connection when the backup is running, not sure if this is the only condition. One of the servers that this is happening on was running OS9.0.4 we have upgraded that OS to 9.2.2 and are still having the same problems. The other box that is having this same problem is all the way back on 8.6 for compatablity reasons. It shows the exact same symptoms. If anyone else is seeing these problems or have any thoughts about it please help out.

Thanks

Chris

I am not sure. I am thinking of trying the mounting method this weekend to see.

Dantz, could you please tell me if the patch you are working on is also going to address the crashing of AppleshareIP servers? If the patch is only going to fix the internal consistency problem, then I should be looking at other options right now.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yep...Me too...I brought down 5 AppleshareIP servers last night after upgrading and starting the backups....Four are still runnning 9.0.4 and ASIP 6.3.1, and one running 9.2.1 and ASIP 6.3.2. (I believe as I have no login for the box, just responsible to back it up.)

Now I am running RetroSpect on OS X 10.1.3....

I am also getting lots of these errors, not associated with ASIP. (1 machine being a PC running WIN2K,The rest macs, running 9.2.2 thru 9.1.

Backup set format inconsistency (7 at 33627020)\

Bad backup set header found (0x843b0689 at 251,175).\

With Retro 4.3 I NEVER got these header errors....Maybe I should run it on 9.2.2 and see if at least the backup set header errors go away...

And I had 4 machines not seen on the network that should have been seen...and were seen before!

well...I have flashed the firmware on the tape drive...

But am waiting for the new Adaptec 39160 card to arrive, since the 2 I have been running with are now unsupported...(2940UW and 29160)

and of course any software updates to install....

Rick

I installed the new update, and my AppleshareIP 6.3.3 server still crashed during backup. I will give it this: It looks like it got through more files before it crashed. The first version crashed it as soon as as started copying. Looks like it got through a few MB this time.

Don Carlile

I installed the update last week, and I was able to backup my AppleshareIP server again. But, for some reason, on Sunday night, which does a recycle backup, it started freezing the AppleshareIP server again. And, since then, I have not had a backup complete. It will freeze the AppleshareIP server, where Kick-off has to restart it.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

Some customers have reported problems when backing up AppleShare IP servers with both Retrospect 4.3 and 5.0.

There is one problem reported with Retrospect 5.0 running on an ASIP server, where Retrospect is definitely not the cause:

The ASIP server crashes when Retrospect 5.0 autolaunches or is launched from an alias.

We have identified this to be a problem between Mac OS 9 and the ASIP software that may occur when any Carbon-style application is launched from an alias. We have duplicated this behavior using other Carbon applications, and we have reported the issue to Apple.

Other reported problems currently under investigation include:

Retrospect 4.3 running on an ASIP server asserts failure or hangs during the backup's copy phase.

The ASIP server locks up when the first user logs in following a backup of the server with the Retrospect 4.3 client.

The ASIP server crashes at the beginning of a backup with the Retrospect 5.0 client.

Retrospect returns "error 1 (unknown)" for some files backed up from an ASIP server with the Retrospect 5.0 client.

Due to the complexity of the AppleShare IP software and the difficulty in reliably reproducing these behaviors in a controlled environment, Dantz has been unable to establish that Retrospect is the cause of these problems. As such, we have opened a developer support case with Apple to determine the root cause of these issues.

We consider this to be a matter of the highest priority, and we will provide additional information on these issues as soon as we have anything significant to report.

Thank you,

Dantz Technical Support

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Dantz has been investigating several problems that customers have reported when backing up an AppleShare IP server with Retrospect 5.0. Reported problems include:

1) The ASIP server crashes when Retrospect 5.0 autolaunches or is launched

from an alias.

2) The ASIP server crashes at the beginning of a backup with the Retrospect

5.0 client.

3) Retrospect returns "error 1 (unknown)" for some files backed up from an

ASIP server with the Retrospect 5.0 client.

Our investigation has revealed that these problems result from using Carbon APIs with AppleShare IP software. Problem #1 occurs when any Carbon application is launched from an alias, confirming our contention that it is not a Retrospect issue. Retrospect 5.0 uses HFS+ file system calls, as specified by Apple, which stimulate bugs in the AppleShare IP software,

resulting in Problems #2 and #3.

We have reported all of these problems to Apple, but Apple's development efforts are now focused on Mac OS X Server. Without a commitment by Apple to address these problems, we have no choice but to suggest that our customers consider replacing AppleShare IP with Mac OS X Server.

Sincerely,

Dantz Development

Technical Support

www.dantz.com

Archived