5.x Server schedules itself to stop.

What fresh hell is this?

While I await an elem812.c fix, I've been reading the log file from last night to figure out what got backed up before Retrospect fell over and saw that, for some reason, Retrospect simply decided to stop at 11:00:01 pm. Here's what the log says:

"4/4/2002 11:00:01 PM: Script execution terminated at specified stop time.

4/4/2002 11:00:01 PM: Execution incomplete."

This would be great if I'd actually scheduled it to stop. Sadly, however, I'd like to have Retrospect run until it's actually backed up all the clients.

The script shows no such schedule. The script was moved from my 4.3 installation. According to the log file, nothing else happened until 9:00am this morning, when the Backup Server started itself, backed up a couple of laptops, then crashed backing up an iBook (yes, with file sharing turned on...).

Where's the mysterious scheduling information coming from?

Running 5.0 on a beige G3 under 9.2.1.

Greetings,

Dantz has released a minor update to Retrospect Backup version 5.0 that all customers should download and install.

This update fixes a problem that caused all Retrospect Backup 5.0 editions running under Mac OS X to continually increase their memory usage while any LaunchCFMApp process was running. (LaunchCFMApp is a process used in Mac OS X to open Carbon applications.)

This update also fixes a problem that caused Retrospect Desktop, Workgroup, and Server Backup 5.0 editions running under Mac OS 9 to assert failure (with "elem.c-812") when backing up a client AppleShare IP Server or a client computer that has personal file sharing turned on. (This issue does not affect Retrospect Express installations.)

Retrospect Express 5.0 Updater:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/Express_50203_Update.sit

Retrospect Desktop/Workgroup/Server 5.0 Updater:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/Retrospect_50203_Update.sit

Thank you.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

jbob asks:

Where's the mysterious scheduling information coming from?

If the script itself has no schedule, check to see if Retrospect has a global schedule set.

Special->Preferences->Schedule

Click on the "Schedule..." button, and see if the sliders are set to end at 11:00.

Dave

Archived