error -24242 (mapid database is corrupt)

I bought Retrospect server to backup my G4 533 and IBM Thinkpad 366 running Win 2000 Prof. It backs up the G4, although I still get a Error 102 when the CDR is filled. then it is quit program, run Tools-Repair and update the Catalog - then continue. However, this mapid database is very annoying becasue that is why I bought the server instead of the express. I just deleted the Retro. program from the hard drive completely using uninstall, the Searched for any remanants and deleted those files. resinstalled 5.0 from CD then updated to vers. 238 and then updated driver to 3.6. I also delted the Client 6.0 on the laptop and reinstalled that as well. Here you see the log from the first time I tried to backup the laptop. So the big question is wher can I delete this file. Does it reside on the laptop or on the Mac and is it hidden? Before reinstalling Client and Program I ran Norton Utilities on both machines. No problems on the MAC, but the laptop repored a MAPISERVE.DLL is missing and may be on another drive. It was impossible for me to delte this file or find out where it is located from Norton's.

I have repeatedly tried the suggestions on the website: deleting client and the adding it back, by running Norton's on the laptop, deleting preferences on the Mac and now completing deleting the program. All to provided no remedy. Anybody have any other suggestions??

? Retrospect version 5.0.201

launched at 7/9/2003 9:34 AM

Quit at 7/9/2003 9:35 AM

? Retrospect version 5.0.238

launched at 7/9/2003 9:46 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.1.105

Quit at 7/9/2003 9:52 AM

launched at 7/9/2003 9:53 AM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.6.106

* Laptop: logged into backup client database

+ Normal backup using EasyScript Backup at 7/9/2003 10:12 AM

To backup set Backup Set H…

7/9/2003 10:12:44 AM: Connected to Laptop

- 7/9/2003 10:12:43 AM: Copying Laptop HD (C:) on Laptop…

Scanning incomplete, error -24242 (mapid database is corrupt).

Quit at 7/9/2003 10:13 AM

launched at 7/9/2003 3:23 PM

+ Retrospect Driver Update, version 3.6.106

Retrospect may be encountering a filename that it doesn't know how to read. It could be an illegal windows character, or a path greater then 256 characters.

Try going to Configure>Volumes and browse the disk. After the error, a partial browser should display. The first "empty" folder in the list is the one containing the file Retrospect does not like.

Thank you for your reply. It is a start. When I followed the directions, I came across several empty folders. Some were not on the C drive of the laptop and I deleted them from the Retrospect program. I was then able to scan up to 1900 folders until I got the next Mapid Database Corrpt error. This time it appears to be a folder on C drive named "Disk Information Folder". I can not delete it wthin Retospect and I can not delete it using Win 2000 - Error is file in use - Access denied. Even tried using safe mode - same answer. I ran Norton and ScanDisk and still unable to solve this problem. So far delted three empty folders. Each time leads to more files beign scanned.

Thanks fo you support

Bruce Bogdanoff crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working for more than a week to delete the empty folder on my C drive. It is named "System Volume Information." It contains 0 files and folders and is the first empty folder to be found. Win 2000 Prof by will not let me delete it claiming it is in use. I have tried deleting from "safe mode" with the same result and from DOS with no luck. Any ideas if this empty folder is causing the problem and if so, suggestions on deleting it. BTW - all folders after this one show as empty.

TIA Bruce

Archived