Is there any way to tell Retrospect a client is at a new IP address without forgetting that client, re-logging in that client, and then re-setting any scripts that it uses?

I've still got one remote client that gets a public, but dynamically assigned IP address. If it were even just a one-step process to alert Retrospect that the client's IP address has changed, I could handle it, but having to forget/re-log-in/reconfigure scripts is a bit much.

I can't really use the Configure Subnets feature; I'm looking for a single machine in a 255.255.0.0 subnet.

If the machine is in another subnet, and has a changing IP address, you'll need to use subnet broadcast to find it and log it in.

If you're concerned about network traffic, the UDP packets sent out to find the clients will not affect your network performance in any significant way.

Thanks,

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

It's not the network traffic I'm worried about.

Sending discovery packets to an entire ISP's 255.255.255.0 IP range is, technically, portscanning. It's unlikely that any of that ISP's other customers would ever notice, but if they did I could be held legally liable for attempting to hack into another person's computer.

Why *can't* I go into a client's configuration file and change the IP address, anyway?

Archived