Is the LaCie d2 IEEE 1394 Firewire HD Compatible with RE???

Since I've already been burned once by RE 5.0 with the internal DVD-ROM Toshiba SD-R2002 in my iBook, I was wondering if anyone can *confirm* that the LaCie IEEE 1394 Firewire external HD is compatibale with RE for OS X.

Are there any special compatibility issues with RE and this drive that I should consider before buying it?

I've already read through the Dantz website and it seems like it's compatible, but that's also what it seemed like with Toshiba DVD/CD-RW too, and RE can't even recognize any CD media (-206 error) on my Toshiba SD-R2002.

So, I just wanted to hear from someone who has actually used a LaCie with RE 5.0, or someone who can knows for sure.

Thanks!

Steve

Any local hard drive that is supported by the OS is supported by Retrospect. Data transport does not require the use of special drivers - it is all handled by the Operating System. Hard drives should contain the Oxford 911 chipset if you plan to duplicate / boot from the drive.

For a list of computers that support firewire booting, please see:

Apple Link

Quote:

Quote:

I get a "Sorry, no disc storage devices found."

That's correct. Devices include CD burners, tape drives, Zip drives, etc.

I 'm not sure that I know what this means. What are you saying "that's correct" about?

My question is: Can I make incremental and full backups of my hard-drive to CD-R? And, can I do it with the LaCie d2 IEEE 1394 Firewire CD-R. Or, like in the tutorial you referenced, do I need to write to a file before I can backup to a CD? Why is there a CD/DVD option in the Backup Set Type?

I am used to AIT tapes. Does the concept for backing up my computer onto cd-r's differ from backing up to AIT tapes? Can I string CD001, CD002, CD003 together with a linear style backup?

Quote:

What are you saying "that's correct" about?

To your original question, quoted verbatim: "Just bought a LaCie d2 IEEE 1394 Firewire HD. Trying to backup to it."

Your post asked about backing up to a firewire hard drive (HD), not to a CD burner.

If you question is actually about a CD burner, the best place to start is with the hardware compatibility search engine to ensure that you are using a supported, compatible CD burner.

www.dantz.com/hardware

Retrospect can backup directly to CD and span multiple CD's as they fill up just as you are used to with tape.

You are absolutely right. I did ask, incorrectly, about the HD and not the CD-R. And I have checked the hardware compatablility section. My device is compatible.

LaCie d2 CD-RW 52x24x52 (LTR-52246S version) IEEE 1394/FireWire CD-RW Qualified Qualified

And, is not working. "sorry, no disc storage device found"

I appreciate your time you are spending on this.

• 1 month later...

Archived