-505 Error, Solution NOT to reboot needed

I've got a -505 error trying to backup a Mac OS X client and need a solution other than 'reboot both machines' - we're running Unix now Dantz and I have to deliver the same uptime with Mac OS X Serverb and it's associated applications than I do with our Unix and Linux servers.

A tech support process that requires a reboot of a client I could live with (although I'd still rather not) but I cannot justify a server reboot for a software application/networking problem. If all the reboot is for is to clear some locks/reset some network connections then can you tell us how to achieve the same end from the command line? This is going to be critical in getting RetroSpect accepted as a real backup solution for business servers for my clients.

Many thanks,

David

Quote:

I've got a -505 error trying to backup a Mac OS X client and need a solution other than 'reboot both machines'

- What exactly are you doing?

- What exactly is the error (numerical errors usually have text attributes too).

- What sort of hardware are you running?

Providing complete and thorough information in your Forum posts is critical to getting real answers from other users.

Dave

I'm trying to backup a Mac OS X RetroSpect client, running an Immediate backup using a source and destination I have used several times before, I don't know what was happening on the client at the time. Server is B&W G3 192 Mb RAM, client is flat screen iMac 512 Mb RAM, backing up to internal ATA disk.

I had hit the Backup button and the Scanning pane had just opened when the -505 error occurred - I don't recall the text of the error, usually it's the number that tech support want.

It's not the error per se I was querying it was the solution that has been posted in this forum a couple of times - reboot both machines.

I've checked back through my logs and now I have some more details :-)

A backup had been started but I STOPPED it and quit RetroSpect. Later I tried to rerun the backup and got:

Can't access Volume1 ,

error 505 (client is reserved)

Quote:

It's not the error per se I was querying it was the solution that has been posted in this forum a couple of times - reboot both machines.

I'd be marginally curious as to what thread gave that advice, but in general there's no need to restart OS X just to handle Retrospect issues.

The OS X Client process seems to have issues when a running backup is stopped (although I've never seen it happen, there have been detailed posts to that effect). But you can easily kill/restart this process either through the GUI at the machine, or remotelly via ssh.

If you have access to the remote machine, launch the OS X Client program and hold the Command (Apple) key while clicking the Off radio button. Status should read "Not Running." Then turn it back On again.

To kill the client remotely, make an ssh connection to the remote machine, find the process id for 'pitond' (top or ps are commands that can help you find the PID for a running process) and type 'sudo kill xxx' where xxx is the pid for pitond (unix is fun!).

The actual pitond process file is located at:

/Applications/Retrospect\ Client/Retrospect\ Client.app/Contents/Resources/pitond

The terminal command to restart it from there would be to:

cd /Applications/Retrospect\ Client/Retrospect\ Client.app/Contents/Resources/

sudo ./ pitond &

Thanks, that's a help :-)

My next problem is the -43 File not found error while scanning - this results in the retopds.22 on the client running wild (75% CPU utilisation). I can stop the Retrospect client as you suggested, kill -9 this process and then restart the client.

BUT what this means is that I have to watch the Retrospect backup running to catch this failure as the client I am backing up is a subvolume on my home directory server and when the retropds.22 process goes into overdrive the performance of the server is very poor. I haven't got this problem backing up system volumes, just my users homes.

Of course the real problem is that I've been unable to get a good backup so far, I've read suggestions that I binary chop my client backups utnil I find the file that's giving problems but I just don't see how that can be viable in a production environment :-(

I have to honest; I'm not too happy with Retrospect for Mac OS X, it's given me more problems in the week I started to use it then I ever got while running Mac OS 9. I appreciate that it's more of a whole new product rather than a port from Mac OS 9 but it's a critical app and it just has to work absolutely 100% of the time and at the moment it isn't (IMHO). If things don't improve soon I may have to look at alternatives (and there aren't too many of them for Mac OS X are there!).

David

Quote:

My next problem is the -43 File not found error while scanning - this results in the retopds.22 on the client running wild (75% CPU utilisation).

Then your next step should be to describe completely your setup, and the steps that cause your problem to occur.

In my experience retropds.22 will utilize lots of cycles while it's providing Retrospect with its list of files, but it always behaves itself even if it encounters UniCode files that Retrospect can't scan.

Dave

• 2 months later...

Dantz has released an update to the Retrospect Client software for Mac OS X. This update is compatible with Retrospect 5.0 for Macintosh as well as Retrospect 6.5 for Windows.

Changes made the new Macintosh client software include improved memory management on the client computer as well as a fix for the error -40 File positioning for retropds.22.

The new client installer can be downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/cs/mac_client_5_1.sit

Thanks,

Dantz Technical Support

• 1 month later...

Are you suggesting that there is a Client version 5.1 which surpasses Client version 5.540? When I downloaded it, there seemed to be a reference at 5.1 and then during install a reference that it was 5.0. What is going on?

Archived