How to upgrade catalogs?

Hello,

The upgrade instructions address how to handle the preferences when going from OS9 to OSX... but what about the Catalog files. If I just keep the folder with my Catalog files, where should I locate it on the OSX machine with v5.0. Will it just find them, will I have to tell it where they are?

Thanks,

-Steve

swilkinson@macys.com

If you've upgraded from 4.x and chosen to keep your old prefs, then 5.0 should find them without any intervention from you.

You needn't move them unless you want to. The default location for new catalog files under OS X is in your Documents folder, so if you'd liek, move them there to keep them all together. Once you've moved them, highlight them all in the finder and double-click to tell Retrospect where you've moved them to.

OK... Thanks! Let me just make sure I've got this straight...

I'm actually going to format the old OS9 box, and just put OSX on it. Then install Retrospect 5.0, and move a backed up copy of the prefs and Catalog files to this box.... so if I put the prefs where the user guide says.. and the 'old (from 4.3)' Catalogs in the Documents directory, I'll be all set.

After I've installed v5.0, run it the first time, and 'upgraded' the prefs.. then I open that 'old' Catalog directory I've moved to the Documents directory, select them all, and double click?

I hope that works, as the old install and locations won't be around after I've wiped the box and put OSX on it.

Thanks,

-Steve

swilkinson@macys.com

Thanks Derrick. However, I want to be sure I can do it the other way I listed in my post above. We have a policy that any production box only have OSX on it, and if OS9 needs to be there, it has to be on a separate partition. Anyway, that would be a real pain... so I'm trying to make sure I can do it on a totally new OSX only install, by moving the prefs and Catalogs folders back to it after the OSX install.

Thanks,

-Steve

swilkinson@macys.com

Well, I guess never mind on this one... we've just stayed with OS9 for now. It would have been nice to have an answer though...

I also find it interesting that everyone from Dantz seemed to get to go home on time on Fri Night, while us users were left hanging with problems. I was at the office till 12:30 am PST on Sat morning... Not exactly what I wanted to be doing...

If Dantz would have planned this one a bit better, we could have had a much easier time with this upgrade. Here are my gripes... which I'm sure I'm not alone in:

1) Beta experation only a couple day from the software release. What was Dantz thinking??? I've been a Beta tester for several software packages in the past, and I've never seen anything like this. There is usually at minimum a couple week overlap in times.

2) Changing the way liscensing worked between the Beta and the release. This made things hard, even if we purchased the upgrade at the first moment we could. By the way the Beta worked, I was expecting the new v5 client to work with v4.3, so I didn't have to mess with that in short amount of time we had to implement this all.

3) No information about the release. I'd been calling customer service for over a month before the release, checking on the status. They would give me no info. When in the last week, I got upset and asked to speak to a manager, I was told to leave a message (which was never returned), and that the 'agent' was 'bending over backward' just to give me the info that it would be released 'in time.' Big help that was... I sure slept better....

In who's time was this anyway?!?! Does Dantz have a clue about network management? I work night shifts most of the week, so it is hard enough to get this info from companies. I made time out of my 'off time' to call and try to get these things resolved... and this is what I get?

Does Dantz ever consider that larger companies have to go through purchasing to get things like software and upgrades? I had to make special arrangements because of Dantz's lack of planning.

Does Dantz consider that we might be backing up production machines that run 24x7? I had several machines that run nearly around the clock, and had to schedule time windows to upgrade the client software.

Sorry for the rant, but this is one of the more 'stupid' of situations I've come across in me career in networking. Some sort of explanation... and even answer to the questions everyone here has on the above and new policies would be appreciated.

Steve Wilkinson

Operations Engineer

Macys.com

swilkinson@macys.com

Archived