OSX Server Edition Not Ready for Primetime

Well, I guess as long as you don't want to backup OSX clients and you don't mind your autoloader not being recognized as an autoloader, the OSX version of Retrospect is good. If you actually need it to work, well your pretty well out of luck.

Here are the two major bugs with the OSX version:

1- can't connect to OSX clients. Yes, I tried every single thing in every post about not seeing the client. I could *see* the client fine, but everytime I tried to connect to it, it said it was not on the network. Given it was my laptop and I was sitting right at it pinging the backup server, it was online.

2- Sony TSL-300 not recognized as autoloader. No, the drive isn't at ID0, yes it is seen by Retrospect *and ASP, but it doesn't get recognized as an autoloader. As long as I sit there and manually rotate the tapes in the loader, it works, but that's not why I bought an autoloader.

Neither of these were issues with 4.3, and neither are issues if I run 5.0 in OS9.

Hi, I had some issues with 5.0 running on OS X as a dedicated backup server but reverted to 9.2.2 as the OS. It is way faster since retrospect can grab more exclusive use of the CPU. The application needs to be more CPU time slice friendly when running under OS X. No real benefit to running 5.0 with OS X.

> 1- can't connect to OSX clients.

Can you please list what shows up in the Active Network Ports section of the Network preferences pane?

Also, there are two ways to back up over airport currently:

- Assign each airport client a static IP address.

- Turn on Ethernet Bridging so the airport client gains an IP address from a DHCP server on the Ethernet network.

It will *not* work if airport is sharing its IP address to connected computers using DHCP (NAT). Retrospect will be able to see these clients via multicast, but will not be able to communicate with them.

> 2- Sony TSL-300 not recognized as autoloader.

How is this drive connected? What SCSI card? Are you doing unattended operations or immediate operations?

>Can you please list what shows up in the Active Network Ports section of the Network

>preferences pane?

On the server the only active port is Ethernet, and it is listed first (I disabled the modem port). On the OSX client to which I'm trying to connect I had Ethernet, Airport, Modem, and IrDA Modem in that order. I even tried disabling all the ports except the Ethernet port with no luck.

>Also, there are two ways to back up over airport currently:

I'm not trying to backup over Airport.

>How is this drive connected? What SCSI card? Are you doing unattended operations

>or immediate operations?

It's connected via a Miles Bluenote SCSI card with current firmware. As I said, the drive shows up but is not recognized as an autoloader (i.e. no drop down to select the tape in the device window when the unit is selected). I tried it using both unattended and immediate operations.

Everything seems to be working with OS9, so this appears to be an issue Dantz did not properly address in OSX. I can use OS9 for backups, but I spent $800 on upgrades expecting to be able to use OSX for my backup server. Considering 4.3 was meeting our needs fine (except for backing up OSX clients) the upgrade was really only worth $100 - $200 to our operation. So Dantz got $600 extra from us and has one more dissatisfied customer. :-(

>I can't connect to OSX clients. Yes, I tried every single thing in every post

>about not seeing the client. I could *see* the client fine, but everytime I tried

>to connect to it, it said it was not on the network. Given it was my laptop and

>I was sitting right at it pinging the backup server, it was online.

Did you ever have the Public Beta or the Macworld Preview releases of the OS X Client on this machine?

>Did you ever have the Public Beta or the Macworld Preview releases of the

>OS X Client on this machine?

Yes, and I followed every set of instructions I found for removing it, including the ones that came with the beta client. I have scoured the entire support forum for anything relating to this, so if it's been mentioned even once somewhere, I've tried it.

Archived